cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Constant buffering

The last couple of weeks have been a nightmare to watch amazon prime/netflix or anything!

Cannot watch a programme for longer than 5mins without it buffering. Yet nowtv says my speed and connection is fine..

10 REPLIES 10
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Is this with Ethernet or Wi-Fi?

What device are you using?

Have you split the Wi-Fi signals?

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Have you tried a factory reset to the router by holding the reset button for 15 seconds?

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

I've tried to resist saying this for a long time, but splitting the Wi-Fi band is a complete waste of time, except in a very few specific cases.

It is definitely not a panacea for all speed related problems

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Jayach 

Haven't been with NOW for broadband in 7 years, so I am not sure what like the broadband is like with them anymore. All I recall was the speed and Wi-fi were acceptable for me in my 1 bed flat at the time. 

Whereas now I am FTTP with BT at 250MB with zero issues. 

That being said, haven't a clue what usual tips etc broadband support give, so just trying to cover all bases. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Jayach
Elite 3

@gavs82008 

I'm not on Now, and won't be joining as I had intended now they have dropped the inclusive calls, so have never used their router. But from what I have gleaned on here the Wi-Fi is pretty dire.

It would seem the best thing to do is use a wireless access point, or preferably a mesh, to replace the poor Wi-Fi if you wish to keep using their router, or replace it completely.

Why they don't start using a badged version of the current Sky router, which has good reports on it's Wi-Fi performance, I don't understand. (I imagine they are getting the old one a bit cheaper)

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Having rather less self-control than you, I have posted about this advice at least a couple of times, with an explanation of what the splitting might and might not achieve, and the few specific cases where it might be of benefit, from a speed, range, and even connectivity basis (why, even on my BT hub, can’t the hub and a 2.4Mhz device sort out that it should get a 2.4Mhz connection, and not fail to connect because the router is proffering only 5Mhz? At least on Now you can split the bands, whereas on BT I have to turn off 5Mhz to get the 2.4Mhz devices on, and then hope that the devices that can use 5Mhz will find their way back onto it?)

But certainly, anyone proffering that advice here needs to be clear if the poster asking has speed problems or range problems, and tailor the splitting advice accordingly.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

When watching Amazon Prime or Netflix for example I am assuming you have tested on different TV streaming devices to see if the buffering is happening constantly on all of them ?

To give me a good general idea of the download speed directly on my TV streaming devices I use the "Check your Network" under Get Help inside the Netflix App.

Where the down speed measurements seem pretty accurate to me compared to what I should be roughly expecting around my home.

I have tried different internet download checker Apps in the past and the figures are all over the place across the different sites.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User 

You say the buffering has been for the last couple of weeks. Was it O.K. before that?

It's possible that something has changed, possibly a neighbour has a new router that is interfering with yours. You could try rebooting the router and hope it chooses  less congested channels.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks all for replying. Yes i have tried multiple streaming plats netflix amazon disney+ and its more on amazon but they are across the board.

I check my line on here and it tells me i have a speed of 44.5mb yet i cannot watch a programme without buffering minimum 3 or 4 times within 5-10min span. I have to pause my programme and wait around like this is wanadoo dial up days.

I understand peak times and so forth however even this morning at 730am trying to watch The Boys on amazon and constant buffering.

Jayach
Elite 3

I assume you are using Wi-Fi for streaming. The line speed is what your router is getting from the internet, unfortunately you won't always get the same from the router to your devices over Wi-Fi. Peak times actually have very little effect nowadays as the backbones have been much improved.