cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connections

Treat me as though I know nothing!

I’m thinking of taking on now tv broadband but can’t find out what I need to know. My current provider is Virgin and it doesn’t use a telephone line, now tv does? The router when it arrives connects to my tv by Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Or another?

The router is/isn’t a tv box, if it’s not how does it show membership channels?

Any way the bottom line for me is the connection between the broadband box and my tv AND how is the connection between my account/membership made?!

If you can help please!

Cheers, Idiopathic 

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now broadband is an FTTC (What is FTTC? - Fibre to the Cabinet (pack-net.co.uk)) service, and requires a BT/Openreach line. If you don't have one it will need to be installed.

The TV services are provided over the internet and will require a smart TV or a set-top box

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi and thanks for your email reply. Can you clarify this for me:
Now Tv will send me a box which I take to be the router, how is this
connected to my Smart TV?

Cheers
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

NOW don’t send any devices for free in order for you to watch their TV memberships.

If your TV is on this list of compatible devices then you can download the app to watch content.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

Otherwise you’ll have to purchase a device yourself. 
My recommendation is an Amazon fire stick. Which can be bought along with an Ethernet adapter.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:
Hi and thanks for your email reply. Can you clarify this for me:
Now Tv will send me a box which I take to be the router, how is this
connected to my Smart TV?

Cheers

Hi @Anonymous User 

The only item of hardware that NOW sends out under their Broadband and Phone package is a NOW Router.

To connect to the Router between your internet connected devices such has a PC, Smart TV etc you can use either wifi or a hardware Ethernet cable.

The NOW Router has two Ethernet ports on the back of the Router.

I have the NOW Hub 2 Router and i use a combination of hardwired Ethernet and wifi on my various internet connected devices dotted around the house.

If your Smart TV is close to the NOW Router and is practical in your home set up then hard wired Ethernet would always give a more stable connection rather than wifi.

Also are you going to use a TV aerial with your Smart TV inbuilt TV tuner, for the over the air TV Freeview channels ?

Or are you going to use the less limited amount of terrestrial TV channels over the internet via the Apps on your Smart TV.

Out of curiosity what is the make and model of your Smart TV and can you see the NOW App from the TV Apps Store.

Are you also going to watch the NOW TV subscription service and if so just remember you need a NOW TV Membership (ie Entertainment, Cinema, Sports etc) which is not part of the NOW Broadband & Phone service, unless you added the extra TV Membership or Memberships.

Have a read of these two NOW articles to hopefully give you a better understanding of the NOW services.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-broadband