cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edward
Mentor

Connection issues for Valorant (TraceRT logs attached)

I am having connection issues with the videogame Valorant, and after investigating using TraceRT, it seems that it's the not the game or the server that is at fault, but the network path.

Here's a traceRT for the valorant servers in EU (source https://support-valorant.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047225674-How-to-Use-Tracert-to-Obtain-N...😞

Tracing route to 162.249.72.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 4 ms 5 ms 3 ms nowtvhub.Home [192.168.0.1]
2 11 ms 8 ms 9 ms 97e7fc36.skybroadband.com [151.231.252.54]
3 9 ms 9 ms 9 ms 02780b94.bb.sky.com [2.120.11.148]
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 linx-e.riotdirect.net [195.66.238.186] reports: Destination net unreachable.

Trace complete.

What happens is that during a game, my packets get lost because at 02780b94.bb.sky.com [2.120.11.148]  they are discarded / ignored.

I did all port forwarding related tasks, even disabled firewall. Factory reset the router and it still happens. This is really annoying as it completely ruins the competitive nature of this game for me (10-20% of packets are lost...). Can someone please help?

I contacted Riot Games and they have checked their side and the servers ARE receiving my requests, but after long delay (comparing the exact time i sent a packet and when it reached them, if it even does), which is a very big disadvantage for online games.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Edward
Mentor

Firstly, I have found and fixed (for now) the issue. Leaving this answer here for anyone that might find it in the future. I disabled IPV6 and everything works fine now. The Hub2 has some very serious problems with IPV6, so unless you REQUIRE ipv6 (some wireless cameras and stuff require it), I'd say stay away from now/sky hubs since they have many issues with ipv6. To see if you have hub issues with IPV6, tracert to google.com. If you have issues, you'll have A LOT of requests timed out. Without IPV6 it'll work fine, no requests will time out.

Yeah NOW broadband is basically Sky internet, but a bit cheaper. When I tracert, everything goes through sky routers anyways.

My area will have fiber installed 2026 at the earliest, based on what OpenReach are  displaying on their website (max speed you can get is 54mbps, so it's all copper for now).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Edward 

Is the connection over Wi-Fi or Ethernet?

If it’s Wi-Fi you could try splitting the bands for improvement on speed.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

You need to call the broadband team. See link for number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Edward
Mentor

Connection is over ethernet and I'm well versed in networks and such. So far I have called the broadband team 3 times, 1 time I got totally ignored and ghosted (was told it was gonna get fixed, nothing happened). Second time they just gave me a new hub and third time sent in an engineer who did something, i don't know what.

I don't think they know what's wrong and with all the internet drops that I'm having (about 50 minutes a day, my broadband isn't working..) feels like i'm being avoided by them to not deal with my difficult issue...

It's such a sporadic issue as well. It works completely fine at some points during the day (network is stable, no internet drops and almost 0 packet loss) but then there are moments where it's literally unbearable. Can't even watch youtube without it buffering...

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Edward 

Fair enough bud. My experience with NOW broadband is very limited as I was once a customer a long time ago but now with BT full fibre 500mb without any issues. Even then when I was with NOW I had to leave because my property doesn’t have it here.

You could try switching suppliers or are you lucky to have FTTP in your area? As the same might happen with another FTTC provider. So it could well be a fault somewhere on the line, maybe as far back as the cabinet.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Edward
Mentor

Firstly, I have found and fixed (for now) the issue. Leaving this answer here for anyone that might find it in the future. I disabled IPV6 and everything works fine now. The Hub2 has some very serious problems with IPV6, so unless you REQUIRE ipv6 (some wireless cameras and stuff require it), I'd say stay away from now/sky hubs since they have many issues with ipv6. To see if you have hub issues with IPV6, tracert to google.com. If you have issues, you'll have A LOT of requests timed out. Without IPV6 it'll work fine, no requests will time out.

Yeah NOW broadband is basically Sky internet, but a bit cheaper. When I tracert, everything goes through sky routers anyways.

My area will have fiber installed 2026 at the earliest, based on what OpenReach are  displaying on their website (max speed you can get is 54mbps, so it's all copper for now).