cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Connection dropping often daily

I’ve had trouble with our connection dropping out for a few minutes at a time several times a day. We went through all the snow troubleshooting with no luck. The lights on the router stay green so there’s no inbound connection issues and we can still connect to the routers 192.168… backend….

I think today I finally I realised what’s happening. I constantly have Dropbox open and it’s auto syncing files up and down. I think when I’m uploading it seems to drop speed to zero for all other connections, when I disable sync the connection pings back into life.

I need to test this further but I don’t see anyway to configure the router to manage data from devices evenly? We didn’t have this issue with plusnet so will be switch over soon I reckon

5 REPLIES 5
redchiz1
Champion 2

Uploads can hog your bandwidth. Try setting a lower limit for the upload rate in your Dropbox settings. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks. Yes but I need a solution to not restrict bandwidth but allow for other connections to still work, so some kind of auto regulation. Upload speeds are slow enough at max so I don’t want to bring that down any more. Also the connection drops even when restricting to 5000kbps in dropbox 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

It won't be down to the provider, it is down to the router. Try calling the broadband team, see link for number.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey. Well it’s down to the provider in terms of the quality of retoucher they provide. With plusnet we never had this issue, and also the wifi range was much better. It’s a shame there’s no way to configure the router to perform better and manage bandwidth traffic

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

In terms of the tech that NOW provide for the router, you are 100% spot on it is up to them to provide something better. However I can't see that changing anytime soon which is rather frustrating. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help