cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Coming from Plusnet to Now with my own modem and router

Hi,

Due to go live with Now Fab Fibre on Friday. I was on Plusnet until they dropped my connection due to a ###### up on their part which I won't bore you with here.

Anyway, my setup is HG612 modem and Asus RT-AC87U router running Rmerlin firmware. This all worked fine on Plusnet and a couple of other providers before them.

I want to use the same setup with Now so I don't have to configure my LAN and everything again.

I have read lots of threads on here and elsewhere, some saying how easy it is and some saying how hard it is.

So, can anyone confirm the current status of using your own kit please?

Do I need any of the credentials (Username, Password, MAC Address etc.) from my NowTVHubTwo?

I have tried extracting these using the Sky_Cred_Extraction_Tool from here 

but all I get is the following:

OPTION 60 = MSFT5.0
MAC ADDRESS = *********

With no userrname or password.

Do I need any or all of this information?

Or, as some posts have said all I need is a generic username@nowtv|password combo and it will work?

I could do with hitting the ground running on Friday as I have been without wan access for a while now, apart from rubbish mobile data tethering with I am using at the moment, and could do with getting something constructive done 😂.

Any and all input greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to close this question off: My BB has come up today. Two days early so plus points there for Now.

As for the setup on my router. It came up with just a generic username and password in the manual client id. So it was dead simple in the end.

For anyone interested I am postinmg a screen shot of my WAN setings.

NowBB WAN Settings.jpg

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh, and I also tried using Wireshark to get the data out of my hub2 but I think it needs to actually connect to the exchange in order for wireshark to pick up the data?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Don’t raise the bridge, lower the river.

We just got 500Mbps FTTP from BT, and having a new router that could handle this was non-negotiable.

But I just changed the SSID and password on it to what the previous router was, NETGEAR 08 and ********, and then I didn’t have to touch one WiFi device in the house, nor try to remember a new password.

I’d already put the new router in when the OpenReach guy arrived (it was mostly backwards compatible with the previous setup) and he saw what I’d done, and he just smiled and said “Yes, I do that too”.

If you do the same, it may save you from a world of hurt trying to get your old router to conform to NowTV’s requirements.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Oh I'm a firm believer in operating on the KISS principle. If only it were that simple though. If it were simply a case of chaging the SSID's, passwords etc. that would be great. But, I have quite a bit set upon my LAN, servers, a NAS etc, plus I have an AP setup and get good WiFi throughout. So, I would much rather use my existing kit. I don't think it should be that complex, although it seems Now try to make it so. Some posts say it's quite simple so I'd like to hear from anyone who has done it. If it's hard, well, that's fine I'll suck it up. But I do want to do it.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Just to close this question off: My BB has come up today. Two days early so plus points there for Now.

As for the setup on my router. It came up with just a generic username and password in the manual client id. So it was dead simple in the end.

For anyone interested I am postinmg a screen shot of my WAN setings.

NowBB WAN Settings.jpg