cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Change my ip address to ip4

How very odd there is no customer service/tech help available to help with my query - ask other users to solve my problem!?

Anyhow currently I am getting an ip6 public ip but I need to be able to use IP4 for work. I have looked on the router settings but can't see an option to force this. Any ideas?

4 REPLIES 4
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

You are best to call the broadband team. 

https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/my-broadband-or-calls-arent-working-as-expected

NOW Broadband customers can get in touch anytime between 8am–11pm.

Call us 0330 041 2480
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have done that once I figured out how to contact them - they really don't make it easy do they!

I was told "we are not trained to help with such technical issues as we are a home broadband provider"

Go figure. Quite a simple request really. Time to switch providers me thinks.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It's a pretty confusing problem tbh, although IPv6 is the way of the future the basic setup of the interwebs is still IPv4 so you should get that by default if your connection is solid. If you go into 'support' tab (a blatant lie btw) on the hub you should see something like this (near the end after the last startup message):

Jul 20 20:25:48 syslog: Lease renewed 3600 ip 90.200.xxx.xxx
Jul 20 20:25:49 syslog: VCOP agent started.

that 90.200 bit is the ipv4 address (the x's represent my paranoia they are really numbers) which should also show on your broadband status page. Without this you would be hard pressed to browse many internet sites and would have noticed problems with other services (only 20% of websites use ipv6 as of July 2021). Like most ISP NowTv change this for each user on a regular basis (because ipv4 addresses are in short supply).

One thought:

If what your work is asking for is a fixed ipv4 address (sometimes needed for VPN or other security related stuff) then you can fudge that using Dynamic DNS but you may have to pay for the service and its not infallibly secure. This provides you with an 'outward' facing IP address and handles the switch over to whichever address your ISP gives you when they change it. You might need your company network guru to help set it up so it works to their security standards.

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

You have both.

Visit https://whatismyipaddress.com/ to find out what both are, and then give your work the IP4 one.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.