cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Capped line at 35Mbps / 10Mbps on Super Fibre

I'm helping my Dad.

He is paying for Super Fibre and is capped on 34998 downstream and 9995 upstream.

He has been on TalkTalk before and had more, but Now Broadband seem to limit him to the lower speed Fibre package.

Current stats are:-

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed (Kbps) 34998 9995
Line Attenuation (dB) DS1:15.3 DS2:37.2 DS3:57.0 US0:1.1 US1:31.8 US2:44.7
Noise Margin (dB) DS1:8.5 DS2:8.4 DS3:8.5 US0:8.6 US1:7.9 US2:6.1

He's tried twice to call Now Tech support and they do not want to help him because his Min Guaranteed speed is 32Mbps. Begs the question, why did they sell Super Fibre to him???!!! Seems like a little bit of mis-selling and maybe they shouldnt have even shown the option if they were going to cap him.

He's tried calling twice. Each time they quote the 32Mbps Min speed. Its largely what I call "lazy tech support".

What do community members suggest?  The SNR is a few db's above 6db so it does look like a genuine limiting.

Thx, Steve

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Is it a wired or Wi-fi connection you are running the tests on? 

Might not be much help but this link could be of use for “slow broadband”.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @gavs82008 

Whilst he has done speedtests, the stats I've quoted above are from the WAN of the router i.e. showing the VDSL speed and attenuation + SNR's for the downstream and upstream. 

So the problem isnt to do with WiFi or anything in his house, the problem seems to be with the Now / Openreach settings for his line (possibly at the DSLAM/Cabinet).

They seem to have him on a Fab Fibre profile when he's paying for Super Fibre.

When he had TalkTalk, it was around 47Mbps down, and 12 Mbps up. 

We've done all the checks, and I cannot use a different router due to Sky's MER system. I did want to try the TT router as the Now Router isnt the best due the way it lies flat (horizontal wifi antennas) and only having to 2 port Ethernet ports.

I've pasted his property's Openreach details in below from: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

As I say, I believe Now/Sky are capping his line to 35/10 given the SNRs are still up at 8db+ and not negotiating down to 6.0db. 

Downstream  HighDownstream LowUpstream HighUpstream LowDownstream Handback Threshold
VDSL Range A (Clean) 51.338.412.87.635
VDSL Range B (Impacted) 49.93512.46.729.5

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

What I would suggest is calling the broadband team again and quote the "average download" speed which is what NOW are advertising. 

https://www.nowtv.com/broadband?DCMP=KNC-BrandEE&ds_ag=Now+-+NOW+Broadband+-+Phrase-+Existing&ds_kwid=p46832257245&gclid=CjwKCAjw07qDBhBxEiwA6pPbHn3tO_J9m1NN84ltq9uht4qqpMsbslvLOAnU6EiDXLyLijd_uvDWYxoCgw0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Average download speed 63 Mbps

SUPER
FIBRE

£25 a month for 12 months

£0 activation & £5 delivery fee.
Prices may change during this period.

You get:

Average download speed 63 Mbps
Unlimited downloads
Anytime calls for first 12 months
Line rental included
No activation fee

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @gavs82008 

He's tried that - talking about the difference between the packages etc.

L1 (Level 1) Tech support seem to be lazy and rely on this Min Guaranteed Speed thing. I'm sure this is not what Ofcom wanted when they came up with this approach. Its just a massive fob-off. 

Do Now Broadband Tech Support L2/L3 monitor this forum?

Other than him writing a formal letter of complaint, I thought I'd try on this forum for him first. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Fraid not, NOW staff do monitor occassionaly but from what I have seen over the years not often by broadband support. 

You could send an email to customer support (address in below picture). Other than constantly pestering broadband support in complaints I am not sure what else I can do to help as I am just a customer of NOW like yourself.

Now TV customer service.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@gavs82008

No problem. Thanks for your advice. I know the TalkTalk forum have tech support on there (called OCE's) who are actually very helpful, can reset lines, change profiles etc.

This forum is obviously not like theirs. 

Appreciate your help. I'll talk to my Dad and see what he wants to do next. Suspect it will be to escalate the problem. Now Broadband Tech support does seem to be very poor compared to TalkTalk and Plusnet. 

Ah well.