cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Cannot reach certain servers over wifi on a mobile phone

I have a strange problem with NOWTV broadband WiFi. It works fine on laptops but on mobile phones (mine and my family's) it doesn't connect to a lot of servers or services. If I switch to the mobile network it works fine. For example, if I open Google Translate app, and try to translate something using WiFi, it either tries to connect for a long time and then gives me "Try again" or translate using some cache of something. Or if I open BBC iPlayer app, it doesn't connect using WiFi. So I need to switch to 4G, connect and I can switch back to WiFi to watch. If I use those services on my laptop over Wifi, I have no problems. So I'm not sure what the problem is. It's definitely not a problem with the phone as everything works over 4G and also my wife and daughter have the same problems on their Samsungs (I've got Google Pixel). I don't think it's a problem with the servers because it's a wide range of apps (some Google apps, BBC iPlayer, some random apps). 

I tried to enable Private DNS on my phone and it didn't resolve the issue. So I am not sure what should I do. It's just very annoying especially if you switch to 4G to connect to something and forget to switch back and then realise that used up a lot of your mobile broadband allowance.

So I would appreciate any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the reply. Switching off Broadband Buddy did not seem to do much. However, when I followed the guide in the link and switched off IPV 6, it had a very positive effect. I can see a significant improvement in the ability of many services to connect. There are still some odd apps which still have difficulty to connect on WiFi but the majority of apps are now OK. Thanks a lot, again for writing and pointing out to the guide!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hey Alex

I'm no expert in your kind of problem but this is the procedure I follow when I or my son gets a new smartphone:

1) Open Settings.

2) Find and switch on Wi-Fi 

3) Enter your routers Wi-Fi Name and Password (and also "Save & Exit" if necessary)

At this stage, I also switch off Bluetooth (I've no need for it).

4) Check your Modem/Router Home page to ensure it can see now your smartphone details.

5)  Use your smartphone to log onto the Internet.

Hope this helps

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for the response. The problem is not that I cannot connect. The phones connect just fine. I can browse the Internet without much problem and use most of the apps. But some apps just do not connect. Thanks anyway for the advice. I've checked anyway and all phones are listed connected.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

I don't know if going to your Broadband Buddy settings makes any difference.

To access Broadband Buddy go to My Account > Settings & Pins when signed in here with your NowTV Broadband login details.

Other than that see if there is anything in this link below makes any difference or not.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/New-Customer-Broadband-Router-won-t-connect-to-google-related/m-p/509014 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot for the reply. Switching off Broadband Buddy did not seem to do much. However, when I followed the guide in the link and switched off IPV 6, it had a very positive effect. I can see a significant improvement in the ability of many services to connect. There are still some odd apps which still have difficulty to connect on WiFi but the majority of apps are now OK. Thanks a lot, again for writing and pointing out to the guide!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps 

Sorry didn't realise that I need to specifically mention you even when replying to the post. Thanks a lot for the solution. I erroneously marked my reply to you as a solution and don't see a way to change it.