cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you share a phone line with someone with another contract with another provider?

can you share a phoneline with someone else?

I have never brought my own broadband but I want to get my own service for me and my boyfriend but in my family home. (I’m 22 years old)

My mum and dad have a contract with BT using their phoneline. I want my own separate one set up with Now TV 

can I set one up using their phone line to get better connection but not effect them in anyway? 

I don’t want or need a call plan and do not want to interfere with their number. If I was to accidentally block their number with BT or change their phone number they would not be happy 😂

6 REPLIES 6
allanc
Scholar 3

@Anonymous User 

Generally that would require a second line in from a different isp . But should be possible. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

My understanding you will need an extra telephone line (existing line for your Parents, plus new line for yourself if in the same property, with the ISP that you decide to go with).

I am not one hundred percent sure of this therefore.

Maybe ask the question directly to the NOW Broadband Team using the email address on the screen shot below.

youdoodle-2020-05-11T14-12-50Z.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you,

I have emailed them but still no answer. I will look into it and give them a ring 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Im not sure about the latency for gaming - you’d have to ask - but mobile broadband might be an option, especially if you live in an area covered by 5G.

Here’s an article about broadband without a landline, covering several possibilities that won’t apply to you, but covering mobile broadband, with some references, if you scroll down a few pages:-

https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/guides/broadband-no-landline/

and on gaming specifically:-

https://www.4g.co.uk/news/4g-injecting-new-lease-life-online-gaming-mobile-broadband/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’m with @allanc here. But can I ask, if it’s not too intrusive, what you are trying to achieve here?

You wouldn’t (presumably) want your own electricity, or gas, or water, so why your own broadband?

Maybe it’s a speed thing, and maybe there isn’t faster broadband to be has from BT; but if there is, why not give your parents what you would have spent on Now Broadband, and ask them to use it to uprate the speed you get from BT?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Well at the moment we have 7 adults and 4 children all with multiple devices streaming at the same time which leaves everyone with slow speed. 
Me and my boyfriend want to get one of our own which only we have access to so he can play his Xbox without it lagging. I don’t know much about broadband and don’t know if us using the same phone line would defeat the object of faster internet speed, but an option at least.