cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can't see the network printer

Hello all.  Have recently switched to a NOW TV Hub Two.  While everything else has connected perfectly, I am having issues with the printer.  I have a Brother HL-3140CW and I've managed to connect it to the modem via WPS.  However, when I then try to get anything to print to it, it cannot be found.  I've had an online support person ask me to switch to WEP, but this is not available when I go to the router settings.  I've rebooted it.  I've turned the printer off and on and reconnected it to the modem.  I've tried sending pings to the printer and get squat back.  I've changed the channel.  Nothing seems to work.  All the devices connect to the modem; they just can't see the printer.

Any ideas?  This worked perfectly with the Vodafone modem I had until a couple of weeks ago.  Your sage advice much appreciated...

7 REPLIES 7
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

My wifi networking knowledge is very limited to be honest and i have no experience with wireless printers so i don't think i will be much help here.

I did check my NowTV hub 2 router settings by typing 192.168.0.1 in my url browser address bar and there is an option in the wirless settings to select WEP (username = admin password = nowtv).

Also whilst in the Hub router wireless settings maybe rename the SSID 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands so you printer can connect to the relevant wifi  frequency (I just added 2.4 G and 5G onto the end of my Hub router SSID names for identification purposes).

Hopefully other forum members with more networking knowledge will come to your aid.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

The NowTV Hub 2 Router is a clone of the Sky Q Hub Router, so perhaps have a read through some of these threads that i found on the Sky Community Forum that might point you in the right direction.

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?advanced=false&allow_punctuation=true&q=Wireless%20printers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem and the above sky link didn't help. Does anyone know anything specific? Thanks. 

RoyB
Legend

My HP5520 suddenly stopped responding - no router change or anything like that - so I ran the HP Print Doctor, which said it couldn’t find the printer either, but to print out the config page from the printer and compare certain settings with what the Print Doctor thought they should be, and change them if they weren’t.

So I did that, found a difference and corrected it in the printer config, and it was fine again.

I don’t know what sort of printer you have, but can you do something similar? This may not be a ‘new router’ problem per se, and it may be worth chasing it from the printer end, maybe asking on the web if anyone had such a printer stop responding, and what they did to correct it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

In the network settings of the printer I enabled IPv6 and that seems to have done the trick

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had the same problem with an HP Envy 4527, after switching to NowTV Hub2 fibre router.

I checked the printer's IPv6 setting as suggested above, and found it was already ON. However, I happened to toggle that setting OFF and back ON again (in the best traditions of C4's "The IT Crowd") and the PC can now see the printer.

Posting this incase anyone else thinks "oh, IPv6 is already on so that can't be the problem."

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Late to the party... But having recently switched to Now Broadband I couldn't find my printer either.

Turns out the default LAN IP address is 192.168.0.1

Whereas my printer was 192.168.1.XXX

If you log into the router and go to 'Advanced' -> 'LAN IP Setup', you can change the default IP address to match the network of the printer (I find this easier than changing the printers IP). You can usually print your printers network settings by holding down a button/or combination of buttons on the front of it.

Hope it helps someone.