cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael10z
Advocate

Can’t get internet top floor of house

I live in a 3 storey town house and my hud set up is bottom floor and I barely get one bar sometimes nothing on the top floor so can anyone recommend a good booster I can purchase 

5 REPLIES 5
chilli2
Elite

Options available;

Ethernet cable through the building with a wireless access point on each floor

Powerline with wifi built in

Mesh system

Buy your own router

I would advise against plain boosters, unless there is no other option

RoyB
Legend

@Michael10z @chilli2 

To which I would add that in a three storey property, it is recommended to have the router on the middle floor,

Not always possible, but if it is, that’s the place to have it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

@RoyB 

When alot of these properties were having phone lines installed for the first time, the positioning of wifi equipment wasn't likely to be on the agenda , and i doubt the location of sockets/phone lines/FTTP entry points features that high even now on new builds.

If you have an android based phone then get hold of an app called wifi analyzer (american spelling) to check signal strength

Also if you have not already, split the 2.4Ghz bands and 5Ghz bands as this may improve things a little

location is also important - if you can avoid putting the router near TV's  fish tanks, in cupboards in window ledges and so on

RoyB
Legend

@chilli2 

Agreed that the old way was naturally to put the Master Socket on an external wall for ease of installation, etc, usually low down, often in a corner. Thus putting the whole house in one one-eight quadrant of the router’s sphere of WiFi penetration.

But in our previous house, new build, FTTC, it was central in the hall; and in our current one, also new build, FTTP, it comes into the the cupboard under the stairs, dead centre of the ground floor. Where I have put the router on a shelf as high up as possible, above the multi-way Ethernet/TV/Satellite/FM distribution board that feeds the eight distributed wallplates around the house.

So builders are learning….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@RoyB 

Agreed our new build house it is also in the cupboard under the stairs smack bang in the middle. 
In all fairness we have FTTP and 250mb with BT so speed is definitely not an issue. However because of the placement for the equipment the Wi-Fi covers the whole house.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help