cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beemer2009
Mentor

Can I use a different Shop Bought Modem

Hi,

Can I use a a shop bought Modem as our NOW TV one gets really hot and constantly loose WiFi. 

We do not have Fibre in our area and looks like we will not be getting it for ages.

Help Please 

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Beemer2009 

Yes nothing stopping you from using tour own equipment. Just bear in mind when reporting a fault you’ll need to use the NOW router.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Beemer2009 

Yes nothing stopping you from using tour own equipment. Just bear in mind when reporting a fault you’ll need to use the NOW router.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Beemer2009 

To add to what @gavs82008 said, the Now box is an ADSL/VDSL modem/router, and it supports the MER 61 protocol. Anything you buy has to match this to work with Now.

Ask the shop to advise you on this, if you are unsure.

Do you really have no Fibre, or is it Fibre to the Home you don’t have? Which Now broadband option are you on?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Beemer2009 

To add to what @gavs82008 said, the Now box is an ADSL/VDSL modem/router, and it supports the MER 61 protocol. Anything you buy has to match this to work with Now.

To add to what @RoyB says, most new ASUS and TP-Link DSL routers support it. (as do older one's with the latest firmware) 

Another option would be to get a Sky SR203 from your favourite auction site.

Beemer2009
Mentor

Hi,

I'll give that a try thank you 

Beemer2009
Mentor

Hi,

We have no Fibre in our Village, still on copper