cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AnnieUpNorth
Mentor

Can I purchase and use my own router?

The router from NOW is really bad, not enough connections on the back, very slow wifi, and no opportunity to set up a guest network. Can I purchase and use my own router? 

When I contacted NOW about the poor service, they told me to purchase a wifi extender. I did this and it did not help. They also sent out an 'Openreach' engineer to change the wall socket - but this didn't help either.

My previous EE router was fine, but I sent it back for recycling. I'm happy to purchase my own, but I've heard that NOW are not happy about this. Why?!

Alternatively, does anyone know how to set up a guest network on a NOW router?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@AnnieUpNorth 

Can't see why not, although any issues with the broadband will most likely require the NOW router for troubleshooting etc. 

Have a nosy through the forum using the search function to see how other users have done it. 

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
AnnieUpNorth
Mentor

Thank you! I did look through the forum and people were saying that it's against NOWs T&Cs to use another router! @gavs82008 

redchiz1
Champion 2

@AnnieUpNorth If you can get an alternative router to work with advice from others then there is nothing to prevent you from doing so. The T&Cs are there to cover NOW in the sense that any problems you may have while using it are your responsibility, so you will always have to reconnect the NOW Hub if you encounter any service issues and want support. 

chilli2
Elite

Just posted this in the switchover from plusnet to now topic/thread:

Now will NOT offer support for your own device ( and few other isps will offer support for non supplied equipment) Keep the now router to hand should you encounter any issues

If you struggle with setting up routers - stuff like assigning IP addresses to devices , and so on, and you sometimes need help with setting up wifi then use the now TV router do not buy your own router unless you know ho to set it up, and if its compatible.

Having said all that , i have a TP link Archer VR2800, that is up and running  from my understanding the TP link Archer VR series should support MER log ins - however you will need to ask on the TP link support forums under DSL modem&routers

AnnieUpNorth
Mentor

@gavs82008 I now have it in an email from NOW that I CAN use my own device.