cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can I get a static ip address? If so how much?

Hi All,

I know this has been asked before but it was a year ago and I'm hoping NowTV now offer static ip addresses. Anyone know if they do yet?

I know I can use alternatives services like dyndns but would prefer static ip if I can get one.

Cheers in advanced 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. No unfortunately NOW TV still don't offer a static IP option.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. No unfortunately NOW TV still don't offer a static IP option.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @Andy , Guess I'll use dyndns. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I realise this question was asked over 12 months ago, but I'd like to add a suggestion to anyone who really, really, really, really wants a Static IP and has an interest in networking and some competence - although if you can create a VM at home, just trying it out will cost you nothing.

I have achieved this in the past using a server or high-spec router, e.g. Mikrotik hAP Lite (£22 or so on Amazon!) at home and a RouterOS CHR (Cloud Hosted Router) in AWS or Azure. (You can also run CHR at home in your own VM if you want to get to grips with RouterOS without spending £22). I've only done it with AWS, but there's an AMI and you can spin it up as a VM in the Free Tier (for the first 12 months) and then use it as a VPN server. Configure your hAP Lite (or similar) to be a VPN client. Then it's just some configuration in the CHR to wire up your VPN interface to your static IP, and some configuration in the hAP Lite (or whatever you choose) to forward that on again to your preferred IP.

(Caveat: You'll also need to spend money on a RouterOS license since the Free license only gives you up to 1MBps. But the P1 (first level) license is only $45 (about £35?) and unlocks the CHR for up to 1GBps. It's also transferable, so you can tear down your CHR and recreate it, and you can reassign the license to the new one.)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I  miss the static IP of plusnet. Only £5 one off fee and you keep it for life (not per annum).

Nowtv is really expensive outside of contract so I might just move on my anniversary date.