cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband too slow

My broadband speeds are 1/4 of what I'm paying for.

The Now customer agent just had me move my router a couple of feet and reset it knowing it would cut me off from the chat. Pointless exercise, made no difference.

Anybody getting anywhere close to the advertised speeds?

5 REPLIES 5
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

To help you, we need you to be a bit more specific -

Which of the three speed bands did you sign up for?

What speed did NowTV actually promise you at your address (which may not have been the headline speed on the package)?

What speed are you actually getting?

How are you measuring that speed?

To get out of your contract, if it comes to that, you need to know the MGALS applicable to you - link here for details about what this is and how it works.

It will also be useful for you to know what likely speeds are possible at your address; this uSwitch page will give you a general explanation, plus links to what speeds might be available in your area, and to a speed checker you can use.

In general, there is no magic fairy wand that means NowTV can provide speeds faster than any other ISP can in your area; but there are a number of unmagic goblin cudgels that can limit the speed you get, either by design, as with the three packages NowTV offer, or by mischance, because something is not set up correctly, at NowTV’s end, or your end, or in the middle, where the dead hand of BT Overreach rules.

The advice you got about moving your router, by the way, is a standard thing that it was quite reasonable for NowTV to get you to try, even if it didn’t make things any better in this case.

But have a dig in the links above, and come back with some actual numbers, and let’s see what they might show.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you for the reply.

uSwitch's speed checker indeed confirms NowTV is performing poorly against the competition in the area - available speeds for fibre broadband are 67Mbps whereas my Google Speed Test shows 10-15Mbps.

I am paying for Super Fibre with average speeds advertised at 63Mbps. I must be seriously bringing down the average.

Still no word from NowTV on the poor performance.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I can only assume from the radio silence from NowTV that this is normal and deemed perfectly acceptable.

RoyB
Legend

Hi again @Anonymous User 

The Community, of fellow customers, can offer you lots of advice on using NowTV, but there’s not a lot we can do about Broadband queries beyond helping you check they are legitimate, which you probably already knew.

Beyond that, you are expected to get in touch with NowTV, as they don’t seem to patrol the Community looking for people to help, hence the radio silence.

There is actually an enormous wealth of information provided by NowTV if you choose the Help option, and the idea is that you work through that, and if it still doesn’t resolve your query (as it usually won’t where money or broadband performance is involved), then you get the option to contact NowTV directly, either by Live Chat or Email, and even - though for Broadband only - by telephone.

So If you have not gone through the Help, then I recommend that you go back and try it, and you should get through to a point where you need to contact NowTV, and be in a place where you can do it.

However, this process seems to fail for a lot of people - I’m not sure where or why - but we do get the regular complaint on the Community that people can’t find these ‘Get in Touch’ options. And, as here perhaps, we also get the situation where people hope that posting on the Community about Billing and Broadband issues means their post will be read by NowTV employees who will start the remediation process with them. But this is rare, and not something you should rely on.

So if you have gone through the Help and got nowhere, here are some useful links:-

Get in Touch (all the options, and the best place to start):-

https://help.nowtv.com/gb/get-in-touch/

Live Chat and Send Us a Message:-

https://help.nowtv.com/contact-us/managing-my-devices

On Live Chat, keep your answers short, sweet and prompt, or it will time out on you.

If the person you are talking to doesn’t seem able to understand your issue, ask to be escalated to the next level of help.

Complaint webform for TV issues:-

https://help.nowtv.com/complaints/tv

Complaint webform for Broadband Issues:-

https://help.nowtv.com/complaints/bb-calls

Good luck!

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply.

In advance of posting on here I had been through the long and painful process of speaking to somebody at NowTV a few times. Sadly 40+ minute live chats are not uncommon but I've tried again since and still no luck. Obviously some staff are more helpful than others but generally left frustrated by the encounter.

Abandoning all hope of them caring enough to properly investigate the issue and offer a workable solution. Shame.