cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband speeds

Currently waiting on a phone call from the network department at nowtv but I figured it might be worth  posting to ask about this.
New customer to nowtv and have yet to achieve the speeds we have in our contract (60-70Mbs), was sitting at like 2Mbs before I split the bands and now I'm getting 20Mbs maximum on the 5Ghz connection but its very variable and is actually back down to like 5mbs. Weirdly though I am getting the promised upload speeds, just not download.
I feel like I've tried everything and I'm incredibly frustrated with all of this, I would really appreciate some help with troubleshooting.
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous User
Not applicable

lol nvm idk where the 30Mbs came from but its certainly not there anymore. I really hope the PLA works

Jayach
Elite 3

If your adapter is AC (i.e. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz) it is probably sometimes using the 2.4Ghz and sometimes using the 5Ghz. The higher figure is probably when using the 5 and the lower the 2.4.

You can see what band it is in Windows adapter properties: (assuming you are using windows)

Jayach_0-1665156526541.png

redchiz1
Champion 2

Sorry, I am missing the point of that post?

Jayach
Elite 3

I was explaining why @Anonymous User adapter might be giving different speedtest readings at different times. Probably should have quoted the bit of the post I was replying to, but I thought it was obvious.

It was: 

@Anonymous User wrote:

lol nvm idk where the 30Mbs came from but its certainly not there anymore. I really hope the PLA works

I think it's because the forum is mixing posts up, depending how you reply. Very confusing.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have split my wifi into 2.4GHz and 5GHz - could this still be the case if the channels are split? If so, is there any way to prevent it switching?

Jayach
Elite 3

If they have been split, it should only connect to the one you choose. As far as the adapter knows they could be different devices. (as long as they have different SSIDs) I'd missed that you had already split them.

I just thought that that may account for the different speedtest results. Personally, I would always try the 5Ghz first.

redchiz1
Champion 2

PLAs would definitely seem to be a decent proposition, particularly if the OP already has a set they can try?

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

PLAs would definitely seem to be a decent proposition, particularly if the OP already has a set they can try?

Most especially if the far end is WiFi enabled. Not so useful if not, unless you can hang a nanorouter on it,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User @redchiz1 

Other things being equal, PLAs to where the PC is should be as good as an Ethernet cable running the same course, which should be the same as you would get with the PC next to the router on a short Ethernet cable.

The reason I mentioned the PLAs with WiFi is that when I put in my garden room, I bought a pair of non-WiFi PLAs. Worked great with my laptop, but when I came to use my iPad - durr….

So I zoomed back to Curry’s, and swapped the plain PLAs for a set with WiFi at the far end, as well as Ethernet. Ten quid extra. Then I could use the iPad, or any other non-wired device, in the garden room. I even ran the laptop that way - didn’t bother with the Ethernet.

And they can be a great way to overcome the poor range of the Now router - just put the WiFi end where your WiFi is weakest, and let it be the poor man’s one-device mesh system, if that suffices 😛

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/tplink-tlwpa7517-av1000-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-twin-pack-10222011.html?searchTerm=WiFi%20piwerline

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yup I've just installed the PLA and its working perfectly, thanks everyone for all the help!