cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband speeds

Currently waiting on a phone call from the network department at nowtv but I figured it might be worth  posting to ask about this.
New customer to nowtv and have yet to achieve the speeds we have in our contract (60-70Mbs), was sitting at like 2Mbs before I split the bands and now I'm getting 20Mbs maximum on the 5Ghz connection but its very variable and is actually back down to like 5mbs. Weirdly though I am getting the promised upload speeds, just not download.
I feel like I've tried everything and I'm incredibly frustrated with all of this, I would really appreciate some help with troubleshooting.
29 REPLIES 29
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say new to NOW broadband, have you been with them for 10+ days? As the speed will fluctuate within the first 10 days

https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

Otherwise it’s possibly a fault with your line maybe as far back as the cabinet.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi, yes, our contract started about a month ago.

What do you mean "as far back as the cabinet"?

thanks for your response

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi, yes, our contract started about a month ago.

What do you mean "as far back as the cabinet"?

thanks for your response

@Anonymous User 

Your line runs on copper from your property to an Openreach cabinet somewhere nearby, and from there to Now, it runs over shared fibre.

Fibre is pretty reliable, but the copper bit can have any of the issues that used to plague the old all-copper lines - bad connections, dry joints, water ingress, and so on.

But Openreach should be able to find and fix any of these issues that may be affecting your connection,

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB 

Aye, but it's best to establish first where those issues arise, do you not agree?

redchiz1
Champion 2

Wireless testing will not give you the best measures. Have you tried a wired test? What is your router sync speed showing as? 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

Wireless testing will not give you the best measures. Have you tried a wired test? What is your router sync speed showing as? 

@redchiz1 

While all sorts of things can impact WiFi performance - distance, walls, fish tanks, other equipment -  if you can’t get 60/70 on a fast WiFi device in line of sight a few feet from the router, then I think guaranteeing that speed is meaningless.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

Indeed, but the OP is yet to confirm whether these speeds are apparent at the router, or wired, so any further advice is somewhat dependent. Especially referral to Openreach.

RoyB
Legend

Thing here is that the OP is inviting our thoughts in the context of his awaiting a callback from Now Broadband. So it’s all speculation and rumination so far.

@Anonymous User 

How are you measuring these speeds, wired or WIFI, and if WiFi are you measuring them as close to the router as you can reasonably get?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

So following the suggestions I did a wired test and actually got 70Mbs and checked the wireless while i was at it and got the same result. I have now brought my PC back to my room and the speed is back down to 5 and on my phone I'm getting 35Mbs.

I am now thoroughly confused. I do not live in a big place and the distance from my pc to my router is probably only about 5m though there are walls between. I do not appear to have a weak connection as the wifi bar is full.

Is this a fault with the router itsself? What do I even do in this situation as I guess I am technically getting the right speeds.

I had tested the speeds right by the router before and definitely did not get 70Mbs before and the speeds vary quite a bit during the day.

Thank you both for your help so far