cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tina1
Advocate

Broadband speed

Well had an issue with slow broadband for a few weeks then lost phone line so NOW TV sent out an engineer from open reach who looked into the issue and basically told me the line is knackered and needs replacing but open reach will not replace this as the cost would be around £9000 to dig up the road.

I have a phone line back because he fixed it as best as he could but my broadband speed is currently 17.5 and 4.5 my guaranteed speed is meant to be 27.5 and 5.5 but no matter who I go with unless the cable is replaced I am never gonna get anywhere near this my issue is who is held responsible for replacing the line, Spoken to neighbours and they all have the same issue but we’re not informed that there is a fault with the cable so everybody’s paying for service they’re never gonna receive

41 REPLIES 41
Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 

Oh and, I was not wrong, I rarely am. Perhaps you would like to admit you were.

redchiz1
Champion 2

BT/Openreach may well use the word Ultrafast. Strangely enough both EE and Plusnet, BT subsidiaries, use the words Full Fibre, which while far less glamorous seem to me to be more on point.

Other ISPs use a variety of product names including Superfast, along with such as Hyperfast and Gigafast, sounds impressive eh? The nomenclature used for marketing purposes has few limits it seems. Sometimes numbers are appended, but even then there is quite an array. So it does seem to confuse customers at times. Singling one such terminology out as correct above another is not helpful. Or, to put it another way, wrong. Unless it is FTTP, or perhaps Full Fibre.

Interestingly, I found an example on the Vodafone forums where a customer was confused as to exactly what type of service they would be getting. One poster in particular was vehemently stating that what they call Superfast 100 not only was, but could only be FTTP. 

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Broadband-activation/Is-SUPERFAST-100-Full-Fibre-FTTP/td-p/2704553 

Jayach
Elite 3

As you rightly surmised, that was indeed me. I was referring to Vodafone's nomenclature, where they used Gigafast for their original Full Fibre service, as that was CityFibre's name for it, and they used only CityFibre for FTTP at the time. I didn't agree with the names they were using for the Full Fibre products and their Superfast 1 and 2 products can be both FTTC and FTTP, and the only way customers know which they are getting is a single digit difference on the order number.

In general, I prefer to use Openreach's names, as they are far and away the largest supplier of fibre products in the U.K., but I will tailor my replies to match the intended audience. I stand by my statement that as Now are an Openreach only supplier I will use Openreach's names here. 

Jayach_0-1665757176713.png

redchiz1
Champion 2

OK, I guess that's the nearest you can muster to admitting you were wrong. But I still don't think that using Openreach names is relevant. I have FTTP from TalkTalk on the Openreach network and they call it Full Fibre. As do EE and Plusnet, as I mentioned earlier. Best to use neutral terminology for avoidance of any confusion, don't you think? 

Jayach
Elite 3

a) I am not admitting I am wrong, because I am not.

b) I wasn't the one who used the Superfast name first, I would always use FTTC/FTTP in preference to less obvious meanings, I was just correcting an incorrect use of superfast for FTTP.

c) this is now getting very boring, I will say no more.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Had you corrected it by saying that there were many names for FTTP products I would not have demurred. But instead you insisted that you were right to call it Ultrafast (wrong) and you still seem to be insisting that. And this became boring a long time ago. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@Tina1 

If you are still around, sorry, but we have rather hijacked your thread.

RoyB
Legend

So Vodafone do (or did) describe one of their FTTP products as Superfast. And I seem to recognise one of the posters there, using the words Superfast and FTTP in the same sentence, back in March this year, to talk about the Vodaphone service in question 😛

Nowadays though, I see that Vodaphone just call these services Full Fibre, to hopefully end this sort of confusion, at least for Vodaphone customers, given that the word Fibre is able to be used, without qualification, for the hybrid, FTTC products such as the Fibre options Now offer.

The sooner Now start offering an FTTP product the better, though, as they will then have to provide the differentiation from FTTC that is sadly lacking in their current descriptions.

The tyro, looking for a suitable broadband service, is not well served by the current nomenclature, which serves to confuse rather than to illuminate. Even for the experts 🥴

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
RoyB
Legend

@Jayach @redchiz1 

Now I’m cross to have been contradicted when I said Superfast instead of Ultrafast, because even though I thought I was wrong, I’ve never heard the term Ultrafast used, even though this is the second property I’ve had BT FTTP installed at, and Superfast doesn’t clash with any naming that Now use, and it has been used in the past by Vodafone to describe an FTTP service they offered.

It’s all a bit ‘Allo ‘Allo:-

Rene: Have you ever been wrong?

Michelle: Only once. I thought I was wrong, but I was wrong about being wrong.

😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Tina1
Advocate

update terrible telephone line again so much crackling on the line can hardly hear people talking but only my end, speed fluctuating 16 to 17  and 3 to 3.5