cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tina1
Advocate

Broadband speed

Well had an issue with slow broadband for a few weeks then lost phone line so NOW TV sent out an engineer from open reach who looked into the issue and basically told me the line is knackered and needs replacing but open reach will not replace this as the cost would be around £9000 to dig up the road.

I have a phone line back because he fixed it as best as he could but my broadband speed is currently 17.5 and 4.5 my guaranteed speed is meant to be 27.5 and 5.5 but no matter who I go with unless the cable is replaced I am never gonna get anywhere near this my issue is who is held responsible for replacing the line, Spoken to neighbours and they all have the same issue but we’re not informed that there is a fault with the cable so everybody’s paying for service they’re never gonna receive

41 REPLIES 41
redchiz1
Champion 2

No, that is BT's name for it. And Openreach are not the only supplier out there. Carry on. 

Jayach
Elite 3

Openreach are owned by BT so, not surprisingly, they use the same name.

Tina1
Advocate

No the guy from openreach said there’s nothing coming my way anytime soon 

Tina1
Advocate

that’s what I’m paying for lol but it’s not likely to arrive the package was actually cheaper than the basic, but the speeds they guaranteed where ok before the faulty cable 

redchiz1
Champion 2

The only recourse that NOW can give you if unable to get above your minimum guaranteed speed is to release you from your contract without penalty. But as moving to another provider is unlikely to make any difference this seems pointless. So it looks like you are stuck until FTTP becomes available in your area I'm afraid. 

Tina1
Advocate
  • Yeah I know I can leave the contract I’ve been with them quite a few years now and I know I’m paying for service that I wasn’t receiving but I was happy with the speed I was getting until I hit this fault but no one want to take responsibility for it and fix the problem so me and my close neighbours have this problem and according to the open reach man no one will do anything, his words were they’ll probably leave it until 5G comes which probably isn’t going to be at least for another year plus
Jayach
Elite 3

It's not a good position to be in, but if your synch speed doesn't reach the handback figure here, they should be fixing it. BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

The only thing I can suggest is if you and your neighbours get together and contact your MP and see if they can help.

£9,000 sound like a lot of money, but it is a drop in the ocean to Openreach. If nothing else, they should make getting FTTP to you a priority.

Good luck.

redchiz1
Champion 2

No it isn't. And?

Jayach
Elite 3

Oh, yes it is: Company Overview | Openreach

Who is Openreach?

Openreach Limited is a wholly owned subsidiary of BT Group. We look after the copper wires and fibre cables that connect homes and businesses to phone and broadband. Our customers are the 690+ communications providers who sell phone and broadband services to these households and businesses. So when one of our engineers comes to your address to install or repair something, they’re working on behalf of the company that supplies your phone or broadband.

redchiz1
Champion 2

No to it isn't surprising. Not the ownership question. 🙄