cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xavier
Advocate

Broadband speed persistently low

Broadband speed in recent weeks has been persisteny low - down from 45 Mbit/s to around 15 Mbit/s.

This is both WiFi and Ethernet. Tried restarting router, no affect. All devices showing same conected various services. Running both 5 and 2.4 bands and have used channel changes. 

Wondering if there is an issue in the area, which is Worcester? 

I was seeing consistent 45 Mbit/s for a long time. 

6 REPLIES 6
RoyB
Legend

@Xavier 

I think there would be more of an outcry if Worcester speeds had dropped for weeks.

As a test, can you try plugging your router directly into the BT Master Socket? Depending on which one it is, there may be a plate you can click off to get at the direct connection to outside. Either way, you will eliminate any issues with your house wiring.

If your 45Mbps comes back, you have an issue with your internal wiring, which you will need to chase down,

But if the speed is still low, you need to talk to the Now Broadband Team, who you can contact on 0330 041 2518

If they tell you that your sync speed is fine, and they can’t see any other issues, tell them of the checks you have made, and ask them to raise a case with BT OpenReach.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Before you ring Now, you need to check if your sync speed has reduced as well your download speed.

You can check that in the router, this help article explains how to do that:

Broadband download and upload speeds explained (nowtv.com)

Xavier
Advocate

Thanks for the feedback. 

The problem is now resolved, it was somewhere external. 

There was no way to get through to NowTV on the phone, I had to raise the issue via a complaint in the end. 

I never even spoke with an engineer - the Internet went off for 5 minutes, came back on and full speed resumed. 

I work with networks as part of my job, so internal to the home, I was sure all was good, which is why I raised a question here. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Xavier 

The number for broadband support is in multiple threads if you do a search in the forum. 

Check the link below for the number if you still need to call. https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Xavier
Advocate

Thanks Gavs, ibtried the number several times and it kept directing me to the online portal. 

The line check come back OK online so it would not open a link for tech support. 

RoyB
Legend

@Xavier 

I gave you the phone number, two postings above, over a week ago. What happened when you rang it?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.