cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Skye
Advocate

Broadband signal Issue

I live in a small 2 bedroom flat and can only get a WiFi signal in the lounge. How can I improve the reach to a signal in the other rooms?? 

19 REPLIES 19
redchiz1
Champion 2

I am not surprised the OP hasn't come back in the face of all this pointless gainsaying.  😢

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Perhaps if you hadn’t started with a preemptive pop at those who might care to offer an effective solution to the question as posed….

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

We don't know what will be effective until we try it, will we? Sometimes tweaking the wireless settings helps, I know from experience. And I was right about the likely responses, wasn't I?

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

And I was right about the likely responses, wasn't I?

Only because the only effective cure will be using a device with better Wi-Fi, be that a different router, a WAP or mesh.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 

Yes indeed, you have said that, and I don’t deny that a device clinging on to the edge of 5GHz will have a happier time if it is moved to 2.4GHz, and can then be moved a little further away from the router, even, and will still stay connected.

But the key factor there is ‘is moved’. Split the bands, and you move the onus of device steering and band steering from the router and the device to your own manual intervention, or to the throw of a dice as to which band each device will end up on when you split the bands.

And sure, there may be one device you have that makes the move from iffy 5GHz to solid 2.4GHz, and you might well point to this as an improvement.But the random process that’s going on here is equally likely to move a different device in the wrong direction.

I would have no beef with anyone suggesting splitting the bands, as long as they explained that that’s not enough; you then have to visit each of your 5GHz-capable devices to ensure that if they are in 5GHz range, then that is the band they are on, and that if they are outside this range, or for mobile devices likely to move outside this range, then they are on 2.4GHz

Or you can cause this:-

https://eyenetworks.no/en/bad-apple-a-single-device-can-bring-your-wifi-down/

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

*sigh* I did say in my original reply "as a start." 

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

*sigh* I did say in my original reply "as a start." 

And what would have been next, pray?

redchiz1
Champion 2

I will save that for the OP if they ever post again. 

Jayach
Elite 3

Oh go one, I'm just dying to hear what you would suggest, that doesn't mean spending money.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @Jayach 

Me too.