cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KarlB
Mentor

Broadband router won't turn on

My broadband has worked acceptably well for the past year, however yesterday it went down. Upon checking the router I found that there were no lights on it, tried it in a different socket, still didn't work, tried resetting it, still no lights, I can't find anywhere in this bloody website for how to call someone about this sort of problem, any suggestions? I need a broadband connection for work so it's a little stressful!

8 Replies
Saint1976
Elite 3

chilli2
Expert 3

A few basic checks:

Has the power tripped to the socket? try a lamp in the socket instead

is the plug fully inserted into the router - has it come loose?

Is their power going into the router? check it with a multi meter to see if the voltage being supplied is correct/present on the barrel jack - If the answer is no then do you have an alternative power supply?

If you have tried everything you can ( if you dont have a multimeter then skip those steps, but i would highly recommend getting one as they are incredibly useful for checking /diagnosing basic electrical issues)  then you will need to call Now for a replacement router.

However this may take a while to arrive as Now area domestic/home ISP and not a business ISP / ISP for work purposes so they wont offer anything along the lines of next day delivery ( could be upto 14 days)

You may need to get in touch with your employer and tell them that they need to send you a mifi device/dongle to connect

Jayach
Elite

If you have access to an old Sky VDSL router that should work as a temporary measure, and in case it is just the power pack that has failed, most routers use compatible ones these days.

KarlB
Mentor

I have a talktalk one and an Asus one, neither offer option 61

Jayach
Elite

Try the TalkTalk one, someone on here said their one worked on Now, after they factory reset it.

Jayach
Elite

If you get the latest firmware for the Asus it may offer SKY_MER. That should work.

KarlB
Mentor

Hi thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, I do keep meaning to get one! I contacted customer service in the end and they want to send an engineer, which is odd as its clearly a fault with the router or powersupply. I've tried the router in a different socket I know works and it's still not turning on, fiddled with the cable etc. I don't have a spare power supply unfortunately. The engineer will be around on Monday, hopefully they have a spare router with them! 

KarlB
Mentor