cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband router won't turn on

My broadband has worked acceptably well for the past year, however yesterday it went down. Upon checking the router I found that there were no lights on it, tried it in a different socket, still didn't work, tried resetting it, still no lights, I can't find anywhere in this bloody website for how to call someone about this sort of problem, any suggestions? I need a broadband connection for work so it's a little stressful!

8 REPLIES 8
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User use the free number in the link below.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

chilli2
Elite

A few basic checks:

Has the power tripped to the socket? try a lamp in the socket instead

is the plug fully inserted into the router - has it come loose?

Is their power going into the router? check it with a multi meter to see if the voltage being supplied is correct/present on the barrel jack - If the answer is no then do you have an alternative power supply?

If you have tried everything you can ( if you dont have a multimeter then skip those steps, but i would highly recommend getting one as they are incredibly useful for checking /diagnosing basic electrical issues)  then you will need to call Now for a replacement router.

However this may take a while to arrive as Now area domestic/home ISP and not a business ISP / ISP for work purposes so they wont offer anything along the lines of next day delivery ( could be upto 14 days)

You may need to get in touch with your employer and tell them that they need to send you a mifi device/dongle to connect

Jayach
Elite 3

If you have access to an old Sky VDSL router that should work as a temporary measure, and in case it is just the power pack that has failed, most routers use compatible ones these days.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a talktalk one and an Asus one, neither offer option 61

Jayach
Elite 3

Try the TalkTalk one, someone on here said their one worked on Now, after they factory reset it.

Jayach
Elite 3

If you get the latest firmware for the Asus it may offer SKY_MER. That should work.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi thanks for your reply, unfortunately I don't have a multimeter, I do keep meaning to get one! I contacted customer service in the end and they want to send an engineer, which is odd as its clearly a fault with the router or powersupply. I've tried the router in a different socket I know works and it's still not turning on, fiddled with the cable etc. I don't have a spare power supply unfortunately. The engineer will be around on Monday, hopefully they have a spare router with them! 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you!