cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband not working in next rooms

the distance range of broadband is extremely narrow. When I move to the next room signal gets lost. Test still says it looks though. Please someone help me with it? NOW should remove misleading ads about convenience of its services.

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

That’s because the router is well known to have poor Wi-Fi signal.

You can try splitting the bands which would improve speed and reliability.  
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Although for signal strength your better to source equipment yourself as NOW won’t supply anything.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks, but is it the standard of NOW’s quality? It’s just next room 3 metres away from the router…

chilli2
Elite

@Anonymous User wrote:

the distance range of broadband is extremely narrow. When I move to the next room signal gets lost. Test still says it looks though. Please someone help me with it? NOW should remove misleading ads about convenience of its services.

Thanks, but is it the standard of NOW’s quality? It’s just next room 3 metres away from the router…

The supplied  router is rubbish, however i find that using my own router the service is excellent , you shouldnt judge an isp by the router that they send out  and the corresponding strength ( or lack thereof) of the wifi

One quick question, have you had an internet service, other than now beofre, and if so who? what package, and what router did you use then?

how did the router compare - signal wise? while the Now router isnt that great, now are not unique in sending out rubbish routers - although accounts point to the now router being at the bottom/towards the bottom of the pile

I posted this a while back on another thread regarding the rubbish wifi from the now router, hope this helps:

There are a few things you can do to improve things, as youve probably guessed the now router doesnt have a good reputation with regards to wifi - if it works for you then thats great, if not then its not the end of the world

First of all to see if its the wifi on the router, or the connection you should try a speediest while connected via Ethernet and not wifi

If thats OK, then its the wifi, there are a few steps you can take here.

First of all in the router settings separate the bands the now router puts out two frequencies for wifi 2.4ghz and 5ghz . 5 is faster than 2.4 and less prone to congestion and/ or interference - however it doesnt go as far . 2.4 can be more congested is a fraction slower but goes further .

for most situations 2.4Ghz will do , so once you have separated the bands you can ensure that devices connect to the 2.4 signal .

Still no luck?

Next you should look at the router position- while its not always that easy as your limited to the location of the phone socket, mains plugs etc a slight move can make a difference, keep it away from things like TV's microwaves, fish tanks etc, if you can dont put it in or on a window ledge

Another thing that can have an effect is the building itself, old thick stone walls dont help wtih wifi signals, and likewise modern foil backed insulation doesnt help either

Once you have tried everything with the now router, and you are sure that its the wifi thats the issue then its time to start at looking to getting hold of your own kit .

one thing that i would avoid is wifi boosters ( put rubbish wifi in get rubbish wifi out)

So here are a few options:

Wireless access point/router this plugs into the now router via Ethernet and effectively provides a secondary wifi signal, the advantage here is that its location is only limited by the Ethernet cable you need to connect it up.

Homeplug set up with wifi built in, these are basically large plugs, one plugs into the mains and has an ethernet socket that you plug into the router, the other you can plug in almost anywhere else typically if purchased in a pack the second unit has wifi built in and this then provides a wifi signal fro that location .

the only real downside with these things is that performance can be affected by how the house is wired

If your previous router provided a good signal and you still have it its also possible to use that as a wifi access point in conjunction with the now box.

However if you dont have it, and it still performed well then you could look at getting your own all in one router and put the now router back in its box ( dont check it away you may need it if theres a fault)

one thing to be aware of is that not all routers work with Now or Sky and likewise not all models from the same manufacturer may work it will need to have option 61 or MER log in available, as well as a built in modem - the give away on this is that it will have an RJ 45 jack on the back to connect to a phone socket - often marketed for phone line conections

As far as i know some devices from TP link, D link, Asus work and you will need to consult the relevant manufacturers to find out.- most have support forums like this one for Now where you can ask/research

I use a TP link Archer VR2800 and i discovered how to set that up via the tp link dsl modems and routers support forum

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Much appreciated your detailed support. As my MacBook doesn’t have socket, Ethernet cable can’t be used or I can’t split the wifi (doing some requires Ehernet).

i used to use Hyperoptic, which was amazing - £18/month for 50Mb with preset 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz available as default. They are responsive on email so quickly.

i still have Hyperoptic router but the cable doesn’t match the socket on the wall.

I’m stuck here and can’t even work from home because my work room doesn’t have wifi socket and NOW router wifi doesn’t reach beyond 3m from it.

Is there any consumer protection like cooling off?

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:

Is there any consumer protection like cooling off?

Only 14 days. Have you any details on the Hyperoptic router, like model number?

It may be possible to use it as an AP (Access point) if not an actual router?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The model number of the Hyperoptic router is ZXHN H298A. Is there any way to use this instead on NOW router?

regarding the cooling off, yes you’re right, I’ve found this 

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/cancelling-a-phone-tv-inte...

Jayach
Elite 3

No, you can't use that router to replace the Now router, but you may be able to use it as an Access point, which means it will just be supplying the Wi-Fi.

If you Google "use router as an access point", there will be many suggestions, but it basically comes down to connecting the LAN between the 2 routers and turning off DHCP in the ZXHN H298A and Wi-Fi in the Now router. 

Jayach_0-1667666352943.png

Of course, using a replacement DSL router which is compatible with SKY_Mer (which Now use), as suggested by @chilli2 would be the best bet.

I'm assuming you have moved to an address where FTTP services are not available. What made you pick Now?