cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JellieBabie
Mentor

Broadband not as expected

My broadband went live 1st August. Status page still says it's not live but it works.

Terrible signal. Not getting half the speed guaranteed.

Do now supply extra hubs to boost around the house? Or how do I cancel as still within 14 days. 

7 REPLIES 7
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@JellieBabie 

The speed will fluctuate within the first 10 days
https://help.nowtv.com/article/why-does-my-broadband-speed-vary-in-the-first-ten-days

As for signal, I would suggest splitting the bands
https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Whatever you do, make sure you don't switch off or unplug the router until after 10 days.

NOW don't supply anything else other than the router. For Wi-fi extenders etc you will need to source this yourself.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

what ISP were you with before. What package wee you in with that ISP, And what speeds wear you getting?

For a real idea on speed issues you will need to connect via ethernet and not WiFi 

JellieBabie
Mentor

I was with BT and getting same speeds as Now TV promised but BT were becoming unaffordable.

Unfortunately ethernet is not an option as we are a many person household! 

chilli2
Elite

Ethernet would be used on one device, to check the connection from there you can see if its the Connection or poor wifi.

Next do you still have the bt router, if so what model is it?

JellieBabie
Mentor

It's a Smart Hub 2. Due to be returned in next couple days before I get charged lol

I will try that ethernet to one device this evening 

chilli2
Elite

Sometimes you can use an old router as a wifi access point, it requires a little configuring however if you are going to/ having to return it its not worth setting it all up.

The now router doesnt exactly have a good reputation when it comes to wifi speeds or range , so connecting by ethernet can rule some of that out.

I use my own router with Now, and when i tried the Now router i was surprised by just how poorly it did wifi wise.

If you power up the old BT router ( sont plug it into the phone line) and use an app ( android) such as wifi analyzer you will get an idea on what i mean.

Next question - roughly how many wifi devices do you have?, another issue ( to add to the collection) is that there are reports that the now router can also struggle with multiple devices

JellieBabie
Mentor

Apologies for the late reply.

We do have a lot of devices. Family of 8 so all with devices wanting to connect.

I don't mind purchasing a 3rd router if you have any recommendations?