cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband keeps disconnecting

I’m not sure if it’s something to do with the Bristol area in general, but my broadband keeps cutting out and has done for a few days now. Are other people experiencing this issue? It’s making it really difficult to work from home.

15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am near Manchester and mine is disconnecting several times a day too. I am on a PAYG phone so if connection drops at home and I don't notice it costs me money to use the web.  Never had a single problem when I was with Virgin. Why won't NOW TV answer our questions and tell us what is going on instead of ignoring us. I'll be looking for a new providor when the contract runs out.

RoyB
Legend

All: to find the number up you want, search the Community for ‘moving house’.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I live in Portsmouth and the internet has been intermittent for nearly a month now and getting worse - today has been the worst by far it has dropped 12 times in an hour and a half. A third(!) external engineer is coming tomorrow to look at it all again but I'm really starting to get frustrated, as with many people I am working from home and it makes it very difficult to work. 

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing it or is it simply the infrastructure unable to support this many people being at home? 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I’ve been working from home for quite a while now, predating the pandemic, and if there has been any effect at all, it has been an almost imperceptible slowdown.

Certainly, no drops and hangs.

So i would say your experience has been an outlier. Maybe a hair-trigger router that needs it timeouts extending, however that is done; but more likely a cable fault between you and the exchange that is taking time and effort to track down.

Who is your ISP? What make and model of router?

Any correlation with the weather? Rainwater getting into the ducts the cable runs in is a big enemy of stable broadband. 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

hello RoyB       have you got a phone Line,?   place make sure your phone Line hasn't a bad Line,

as this could lead to bad Broadband, bad Telephone service  for Broadband can distract Broadband sorry to here about your Broadband connection's sometimes when it doesn't respond, it does happen quite regularly' it happens a lot due to bad weather, But the thing is; is your telephone number OK, Like, there's no noise,...   however if your router is connected right , Question how much gigabyte [GB] DO YOU THINK YOU ARE RECEIVING,? do you...or don't you  have telephone,? I would imagine you do? customers do use different services in different ways, hope this helps,

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

I think you meant to aim this at @Anonymous User 

My Broadband is solid-as-a-rock 360 Mbps FTTC (nominally 500, but who’s counting?) from BT, and the phone service is via conventional DECT phones and a BT Digital Voice Adapter, which seems to communicate with the BT Home Hub via WiFi. And doesn’t interfere with it, nor detract from the available speed.

That too is solid as a rock, and the only difference we’ve noticed is that you have to use the area code always, even for local calls.