cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Broadband Speed dire

When I do a broadband speed test (have tried using a few different speed tests) my download speed is around 3mbps! Upload speed is about 10mbps. Using the NowTV "Test my Line" function it comes up saying everything is fine and shows a speed of 70mbps. However immediately after checking it with "Test my Line" and then checking it with another broadband speed test the download speed comes up again at around 3mbps. Totally confused. And virtually unusable broadband at 3mbps. Any ideas or help gratefully received!  Thankyou.

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I assume you are using speedtest over Wi-Fi. Try it wired. (if you can)

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The Now feature tells you what speed Now are prepared to supply to you.

This often bears scant relationship to the speed you are actually getting.

And while I understand what @Anonymous User is saying about testing with a wired connection, we live in a WiFi world, not a wired one.

But certainly, WiFi speed drops off with distance, so do check via wired, or check with a WiFi device in very close proximity to your router.

This will tell you if the speed you are getting is what is coming from Now, or the drop off on their rather low-range WiFi.

(I use fast.com on an iPad).

This will at least tell you what the router is achieving

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB The Test your connection feature in My Account, which you won't have as you are not a NOW broadband customer, shows you the connection speed to the router. So it is accurate in that respect and any serious discrepancy needs investigating. And whilst we do of course live in a wireless world it remains a first point of diagnostics to test wired if possible, this helps to start narrowing down where the issue might lie. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thanks for your reply - much appreciated. My laptop/phone etc are all in the
same room within 10 feet of the NowTV router which is on a table about 3
feet off the ground with no obstacles around it. I have just checked the
broadband speed again and it's showing 24mbps but regularly drops to 3 or 4
mbps download speed. I should be getting over 60mbps. So do I now contact
NowTV to try and sort it out?

Many thanks again.
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

If you haven't done so already it could be worth trying to split the Wi-fi signals, which might hopefully improve the speed over Wi-fi. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

Step 4: Split your Wi-Fi bands

Got a NOW Broadband Hub Two? Splitting the bands on your Hub to create 2 different Wi-Fi networks can help to improve the speed to your devices. Here’s how to do it:

1. Connect your Hub to your laptop or computer using an Ethernet cable.
  2. Open your web browser and enter "192.168.0.1” in the address bar.
  3. Select Maintenance and enter “admin” and “nowtv” as the username and password.
  4. Select Wireless and then 2.4 GHz Wireless Settings
  5. Scroll down to “Wireless Access Point” and uncheck Synchronise 2.4GHz and 5GHz Settings.
  6. In the ‘Name (SSID)’ box, Change the network name to distinguish it from the current network (e.g. add “_2.4G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  7. Check the network name has been updated, and then select 5GHz Wireless Settings.
  8. To be able to see easily which network is which on your devices, change the ‘Name (SSID)’ here too (e.g. add “_5G” to the current name). Select Apply.
  9. That’s it. Select Logout at the top of the screen to exit.

Keep in mindYou need a NOW Broadband Hub Two to split your Wi-Fi bands. You can't do this with the older-style NOW Hub.

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Thank you for your help - much appreciated. I have split the Hub as
suggested and will see if that fixes the issue. Many thanks again.

chilli2
Elite

2.4 Ghz wifi can be more congested ( more devices on that frequency elsewhere) and is a little slower than 5Ghz ( although for speeds on most connections including all now packages this is of no consequence ) however its more robust and will go further

5Ghz is faster and less congested, but doesnt go as far , again speedwise you wont notice anything if all you are using it for is the internet .

If you have an android smartphone i would recommend an app called Wifi Analyzer so you can see what channels are in use in your area ( and pick one that is less congested) as well as measure signal strength

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for your help. I have tried splitting the 2.4GHz from 5Ghz and whilst the speed improved initially, it has now dropped back down to under 3mbps on either band. I have also tried changing channels with no effect. I have also unchecked "Synchronise 2.4 and 5Ghz bands". The laptop I am currently on is around 6 feet from the router with no obstructions. The speed varies from over 50mbps to under 2mbps and I have no idea what speed I'm going to get. On "Test my line" from Now, it shows 70mbps. Would I be better buying my own router as this is driving me mad! It's just ridiculous. Many thanks again.

chilli2
Elite

IF you are having speed issues the best way to check is by using a wired connection to the router, connect your device ( laptop?) via ethernet and then test again

This will eliminate any issues with the wifi