cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjenks92
Advocate

Broadband Speed Test

How does NOW test the speed? They say my speed is 70mps, yet my computer, and Amazon apps keep stalling and my two alternative broadband test says the speed is 19mbs download! Something smells fishy here!!!!

5 REPLIES 5
Jayach
Elite 3

The speed now quote is the speed between you and your local cabinet, known as the sync speed.

This link may help to explain it: Broadband download and upload speeds explained (nowtv.com)

I suspect what your are referring to are Wi-Fi speeds, they are very dependant on the local environment, and the capability of the router in use. The now router is not exactly known for being good in respect of it's Wi-Fi capabilities.

RoyB
Legend

@bjenks92 

You should be able to get within about 85-90% of the sync speed using a recognised checker on a decent-spec laptop, wired by Ethernet to the router, when there is little or no other internet activity on the router.

If you can’t get anywhere near that, time to call Now Broadband and complain.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Slowinternet

@bjenks92 

Mine is the same. My mobile broadband was so much faster. This is unusable! I was directly with BT and got better speed, and funny though the recorded speed BT is less than Now Broadband record🧐. My speed is slower than when I was on BT. As we all know it’s a BT line. 

something fishy going on. Until my contract is up I just share my story with people in hope they don’t make the same mistake.

horace2k

I have the same issue.  Connected my laptop with the LAN cable and i get around 13 mbps.  And the Now broadband checker says 28.5 download and 3.5 mbps upload everytime i check it.  Something fishy

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@horace2k 

Have you done a factory reset to the router indicated in the link below?https://help.nowtv.com/article/improve-broadband-speed

You need to call the broadband team. See link for number.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help