cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peter658

Broadband Setup

How will NOW Broadband be delivered to my home - via Wi-Fi or a phone line?

I ask because my phone line is currently not working (line broken from telegraph pole to house), and I don't want to go to the expense of getting the phone line repaired if I will not need it.

Thanks in anticipation of someones assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Peter658 

You get Wi-Fi through broadband not the other way around. 

The phone gets fixed or a new phone line will be installed by OpenReach. Either way it is all managed by OpenReach.

Call the broadband team if your considering on joining. 
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/switching-to-now-broadband-or-moving-home

NOW Broadband Members can call us 8am–8pm, 7 days a week.

03300 412518
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Peter658 

You get Wi-Fi through broadband not the other way around. 

The phone gets fixed or a new phone line will be installed by OpenReach. Either way it is all managed by OpenReach.

Call the broadband team if your considering on joining. 
https://help.nowtv.com/get-in-touch/now-broadband-calls/switching-to-now-broadband-or-moving-home

NOW Broadband Members can call us 8am–8pm, 7 days a week.

03300 412518
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
chilli2
Elite

Now is a standard ISP/service that relys upon a fixed wire connection.

In the case of services form Now, openreach are responsible for the line to your property up to what is known as the "master socket" inside

If there is a fault between the mastersocket and the local exchange and/or cabinet then your service provider (now) will instruct opnereach to fix it.

As this fault is external, openreach will fix it, you may also need an "engineer" to  chceck and complete the installation you will not be charged for this, it will cost you nothing.

The only downside is that someone will have too be there for the install, and it may take a little longer to get everything running

Peter658

Thanks chilli2 - much apreciated

RoyB
Legend

@Peter658 

Who is your telephone service provider now?

If you ring them up (from a mobile, or on somebody else’s land line) then they must restore the connection to your house, at no cost to you.

Only faults in the telephone wiring in your home, on your side of the master socket, are your responsibility to repair at your own cost.

I wouldn’t wait for Now to get this fixed; Now Broadband, especially at installation time, should more accurately be known as Later Broadband 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Peter658

Hi RoyB - I've been with Virgin so long I can't really remember who my telephone service provider was last (BT I would guess)

I'm with Virgin until 30/5/2023 so I have a month for it to be fixed, but I appreciate your advice

Jayach
Elite 3

As you are currently with Virgin, it's unlikely your BT/Openreach line will be repaired until you are on an Openreach service, as it is the responsibility of the ISP to contact Openreach (except in cases of heath and safety) and Virgin are are unlikely to do that.

Also be aware it will be up to you to cancel the Virgin broadband as it will not happen automatically, as it would if both ISP's were using Openreach.