cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Booking a fibre installation visit.

I'm trying to order fibre and have to book a visit for installation but I do not move into my new property until the 1st July. The issue is I cannot scroll past June to book that date. It's only giving me up to, and including, a week earlier. Can I order over the phone or will I have to wait another week until the 1st is an option? 

61 REPLIES 61
Jayach
Elite 3

They had an exclusive agreement with CityFiber when CityFibre started, but they have always used Openreach.( Like everyone else)

redchiz1
Champion 2

For FTTC yes, for FTTP no. 

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

For FTTC yes, for FTTP no. 

They were slow to offer offer FTTP over Openreach, but I believe that was because Openreach were miffed about the CityFibre deal and wouldn't open it to them. (FTTC is regulated by Ofcom, but there is not such regulation on FTTP)

They now offer both, although whether there is still some restriction on Openreach FTTP I'm not sure.

Any decent comparison site will soon confirm just what is available.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 @Jayach 

As an ounce of checking is worth a pound of speculation, I just got a Vodafone quote for my property, currently with BT on Openreach FTTP.

Vodafone offered the whole range of speeds from 36Mbps to 910Mbps, from £22 a month to £45 a month.

The ‘from’ referring to optional add-ons like 4G backup for another £8 a month (the WFH saviour if the landline goes down) to anytime calls for another £8, with an AppleTV 4K thrown in, which would be £7.50 a month on its own over 24 months.

And support is 24/7.

On another topic here, I haven’t been at the other end of a telephone pole since 1981; all underground since then.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@redchiz1 @Jayach 

And support is 24/7.

Believe me, they talk the talk, but they don't walk the walk.

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Jayach A better like-for-like would be FTTP from suppliers on the Openreach network. And there is nothing resembling the prices NOW offer. Leaving aside the cost of calls. Oh, wait, you're going to tell me that everybody uses mobiles now ....

@Jayach wrote:

Vodafone charge £22.00 for Superfast 1 or 2, the same as Now's Fab and Super fibre, but if you are in an FTTP area, either Openreach or CityFibre, it will be over FTTP at the same price. They do not supply FTTC if FTTP is available. 

And now that Now have dropped the inclusive calls their offering  is looking decidedly unappealing.

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:
I choose now over FTTP mainly due to cost, my previous ISPs connection was rock solid on FTTC/VDSL and the speeds i was getting were sufficient for my needs  , moving to Now resulted in a lower cost and slightly higher speeds - going from about 20 to 55 -

If you are now on 55Mbs, I don't understand why you were only getting 22Mbs with your previous ISP.

Even if you were on the up to 40 service, and moved onto up to 80, if the line is capable of 55Mbs you should have been getting the max on the previous ISP.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for your reply and many thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with my broadband connection disaster.

However I have been advised not to say anything more on this forum.

If that advice changes at a later date, then I will post what the outcome was as it may help someone else with the same problem.

Thanks again everyone.

Stig
Scholar

Will do.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Stig wrote:

That said it worked fine with Virgin but then again they have a different set up.

If it worked with Virgin then its not an Openreach/BT master socket. Do you actually have an Openreach master socket?