cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Booking a fibre installation visit.

I'm trying to order fibre and have to book a visit for installation but I do not move into my new property until the 1st July. The issue is I cannot scroll past June to book that date. It's only giving me up to, and including, a week earlier. Can I order over the phone or will I have to wait another week until the 1st is an option? 

61 REPLIES 61
redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach Yes, that's what I said. But @RoyB said what I said was: "We then get to the bit where @redchiz1 says @Stig can’t blame Now for not getting his broadband right." Which is not what I said. 🙂

Jayach
Elite 3

The biggest problem here is @Stig's lack of knowledge (understandable as a long time Virgin customer) of the  various alternative broadband options.

Just who should be responsible for educating the pubic is a moot point.

Stig
Scholar

It was my lack of knowledge over broadband options.

I certainly know a lot more now than I did before about what is needed to receive a broadband service connection.

Seems like you should be ok to switch easily enough from provider to provider unless you are a virgin media customer.

You may run into problems as a Virgin customer looking to switch  broadband providers because Virgin doesn't need a cable from the telegraph pole to the property BUT! all the other broadband providers do.Virgin is the only company to use it's own line that is usually fed through the driveway/ garden and then into your property.I think that is right ???

You  may also need a mastersocket to plug your phone into.

There was a B.T. cable attached to my property, but not plumbed in, and the mastersocket was an old Telewest socket.

New cable fitted as well as BT mastersocket by Openreach engineers on Monday and everything working fine.

I do hope I don't receive a bill from Openreach.....I've been assured by Now representative that they will pay!,..hmmmmm?

Jayach
Elite 3

Glad it's resolved. You shouldn't receive a bill from Openreach. That will be absorbed by Now. (some FTTC providers do charge for a new line.)

@Stig wrote:

Virgin doesn't need a cable from the telegraph pole to the property BUT! all the other broadband providers do.Virgin is the only company to use it's own line that is usually fed through the driveway/ garden and then into your property.I think that is right ???

Not entirely, some Openreach copper/fibre lines are underground, but still Openreach owned and not specific ISP's.

RoyB
Legend

@redchiz1 wrote:

@RoyB I tend to agree and I did not say what you attribute to me.  

Sorry, I have a lot of trouble with the ambiguity of pronouns 😢

I interpreted your ‘that’ in a certain way (as did others, I note), to refer to Now/Openreach not checking if @Stig had a Master Socket or not, whereas there is another way of interpreting it, referring to him simply not having one.

But I don’t think @Stig was doing that. So was there a third thing that the ‘that’ referred to? 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
chilli2
Elite

@Jayach wrote:

@Jayach wrote:In this case, as the OP has apparently no Openreach copper line, Openreach are definitely not going to run in new copper when Full Fibre is available.

Actually I'm possibly wrong about that as they could run in a hybrid cable.

That would be a good compromise.

Openreach will still install copper lines/services in areas where FTTP is available, on the condition that that area is not in a copper stop sell area.

FTTP has been available in my area for some time, and for some time before i signed up to now, i also know of one property that has had a new copper line installed even though FTTP is available.

I choose now over FTTP mainly due to cost, my previous ISPs connection was rock solid on FTTC/VDSL and the speeds i was getting were sufficient for my needs  , moving to Now resulted in a lower cost and slightly higher speeds - going from about 20 to 55 - however my exchange is now in a copper stop sell area , if i had waited then i would not have been able to move to Now - only significantly more expensive FTTP.

If you are thinking of switching to Now and FTTC is good enough for you and you also have FTTP available (or even if FTTP isnt there yet) i would advise that you check the stop sell list to see if your exchange is on there, as once you hit that stop sell date your options will become limited and the costs will be higher see here : https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/retiring-...

If you are already on Now and you are in a stop sell area / active stop sell area then you can stay where you are when the contract ( minimum term) ends you can either pay the (out of contract ) higher price, haggle a new deal or move to FTTP. Stop sell doesnt mean you must move to FTTP you can stay put openreach will still fix your line if it develops a fault and so on the big date in that situation is PSTN switch off - and even then you may still be able to stay on copper it just means that your phone service will be delivered over the internet, be that ADSL, VDSL /FTTC or FTTP

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:

I choose now over FTTP mainly due to cost, my previous ISPs connection was rock solid on FTTC/VDSL and the speeds i was getting were sufficient for my needs  , moving to Now resulted in a lower cost and slightly higher speeds - going from about 20 to 55 - however my exchange is now in a copper stop sell area , if i had waited then i would not have been able to move to Now - only significantly more expensive FTTP.

Not  currently true that FTTP is more expensive than FTTC.

Vodafone charge £22.00 for Superfast 1 or 2, the same as Now's Fab and Super fibre, but if you are in an FTTP area, either Openreach or CityFibre, it will be over FTTP at the same price. They do not supply FTTC if FTTP is available. And their router is better. IMHO.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach Only if Vodafone happen to be operating in your area. A better like-for-like would be FTTP from suppliers on the Openreach network. And there is nothing resembling the prices NOW offer. Leaving aside the cost of calls. Oh, wait, you're going to tell me that everybody uses mobiles now ....

Jayach
Elite 3

Why would Vodafone not be everywhere, they use Openreach. And Now have dropped the inclusive calls, so I probably won't be joining now.

redchiz1
Champion 2

Um, they use CityFibre.