cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Booking a fibre installation visit.

I'm trying to order fibre and have to book a visit for installation but I do not move into my new property until the 1st July. The issue is I cannot scroll past June to book that date. It's only giving me up to, and including, a week earlier. Can I order over the phone or will I have to wait another week until the 1st is an option? 

61 REPLIES 61
Jayach
Elite 3

@Stig wrote:

If an engineer had arrived on Thursday then any installation problems would be there's to solve.Whatever type of cable or socket needed the broadband engineer would have been told to sort the problem or take the router and leave.

The engineer will be from Openreach, Now have none of their own, and he certainly won't have the router. If he is by him/her self and a new cable needs to be run from a pole to the house, they may well say they can't work at height alone. (so many H&S rules now)

Do let us know what happens tomorrow.🤞

Jayach
Elite 3

Did you try the earlier link to see if FTTP is imminent?

Fibre First: Your future with broadband | Openreach

It's also possible it may be one of the altnets installing the FTTP.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did,put in post code and it says it's available already.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Stig wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did,put in post code and it says it's available already.

Hmm, in that case Now was definitely the wrong choice.

Do let us know how it goes. (if you can)

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Jayach Why was it "the wrong choice?" Not everyone wants, needs or can afford FTTP.

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Jayach Why was it "the wrong choice?" Not everyone wants, needs or can afford FTTP.

In this case, as the OP has apparently no Openreach copper line, Openreach are definitely not going to run in new copper when Full Fibre is available.

But more broadly the lower tiers of FTTP are no more expensive than the equivalent FTTC, and "it's the future".

Unfortunately I'm stuck in an FTTC only area.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Jayach wrote:In this case, as the OP has apparently no Openreach copper line, Openreach are definitely not going to run in new copper when Full Fibre is available.

Actually I'm possibly wrong about that as they could run in a hybrid cable.

That would be a good compromise.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Fascinating thread .

We had Telewest 25 years ago, in a new build. When 9% of people had internet access, and broadband, even over cable, was unheard of, and we were proudly dialling up with 56k modems.

When broadband came in, BT couldn’t offer it, where we lived but Telewest could, so we went with them. But in the early 2000’s, BT relaxed their rules, and we went to them. I clearly remember that we had to pay a ‘new installation’ fee, as if we weren’t on the telephone system at all, though my possibly faulty recollection is that BT only had to work under a cover plate at the end of the drive, and didn’t even have to come into the house. I’ve no recollection of there being Master Sockets back then either, though I do recall an ADSL filter being used.

Regarding @Stig ‘s comments, I do agree with him that Now’s base assumption should be that we know nothing of the ins and outs of broadband, and they should cover all of that for us. (After all, anybody with a clue, and service availability, is at least going to take a look at FTTP, something Now are silent about, which is going to get less and less tenable in this modern Copper Stop world 😛)

I’m then puzzled by this Openreach engineer working in the cabinet, not entering the property, but pronouncing the connection good. I presume they can tell, remotely, if there is anything at the property end, and if it is good? Which would either mean that the ‘Telewest’ socket wasn’t Telewest, or would do the job anyway, or else the engineer made a mistake.

We then get to the bit where @redchiz1 says @Stig can’t blame Now for not getting his broadband right. But while I understand why @redchiz1 said that, @Stig actually can blame Now, because it’s Now he has the contract with.

Now may be powerless to act, and no blame can attach to Now for using Openreach instead of somebody else, as there isn’t anybody else. Which is why I’m uncomfortable that Openreach has the monopoly it does; but then, I don’t know what else would be better, and I can think of a lot of arrangements that would be worse.

At least Openreach is just the Network Rail of the UK internet, and not the train companies as well, as it was in the GPO days.

Interesting, too, that @Stig has been ‘advised’ to stop posting here about this. Let’s hope it’s for a good reason, like he’s going to be allowed to trial FTTP for Now, rather than anything Big Brotherish 😛

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Champion 2

@RoyB I tend to agree and I did not say what you attribute to me.  

Jayach
Elite 3

@redchiz1 wrote:

@RoyB I tend to agree and I did not say what you attribute to me.  

It sounded to me like you did.

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Stig If you have never had a BT/Openreach line into your property then you can hardly blame NOW for that.