cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GraHewitt
Advocate

Booking a fibre installation visit.

I'm trying to order fibre and have to book a visit for installation but I do not move into my new property until the 1st July. The issue is I cannot scroll past June to book that date. It's only giving me up to, and including, a week earlier. Can I order over the phone or will I have to wait another week until the 1st is an option? 

61 Replies
chilli2
Expert 2

Some of the basics are/should be common knowledge, such as Virgin media are a different network to openreach and use different "wires " something that most peeople get a basic understanding of when investigating what ISP/telecom firm to switch to.

 

Now will process an order Openreach socket or not, if there is no openreach mastersocket then the provision of one should be actioned by openreach . there does not have to be an openreach socket in the property.

 

 Issues can occur when a propety was conected to another provider such as Vrgin ( formerly telewest/ntletc) and a previous owner - or even the cable tv installer removed or altered the openreach infrastructure and/or removed the mastersocket to replace it with their own.

 

The process can be smotted out if you tell / inform your new provider (ie now) that you have no BT/Openreach line or socket in the property and/ or you are switching from virgin media.

 As VM and Now use different infrastructure it is possible to have both services at the same time ( although you will be paying for duplicates)

 

I'm sure you halve also researched the difference between how Now deliver their services compared to how VM deliver their services and the differences between ADSL/VDSL/ FTTC and so on .

 In brief, Now will more than likely not be as fast as VM but the cost of Now will be/should be  less than VM

 

Another fly in the oinment is the relatively new thing that is openreach copper stop sell areas, if you are in one of these then Now should have rejected your order - but not all ISPs have updated their databases .

 The good news is if you are in one of these areas then you can get FTTP which is much faster amd more reliable than FTTC - but more expensive .

 If FTTC/VDSL or even ADSL is good enough for you and you can get it then go for it.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for the reply.

I have to disagree with your argument that the average person would seek out the various methods of broadband installation because it stands to reason that a Broadband provider should do what they are contracted to do and that is install it.

They don't install it for free !!! It is all costed into your monthly fee.

Not once did it occur to me to enquire about the installation methods from Now broadband or any other provider for that matter ,it was difficult enough trying to get the right deal for me personally as there are so many packages from numerous broadband providers.One comparason site would offer one deal another a different deal yet with this same company.Plus some deals run out pretty quickly and then your up against a time limit with the the problems of the crossover from old to new provider .I think the average Joe has enough to worry about,let's leave installation process to the providers shall we?

 

chilli2
Expert 2

Broadband/phone is just another one of those things where a little knowledge of what it is and how you get it is a huge advantage.

In the same way that if you are buying a car you should know, or at least have an understandnig of the differences between Petrol, Dieslel, Hybryd and Electric .

 

One thing is that when you sign upto something you should always be aware of what you are signing up to, and have a basic idea on how it works/how it will be installed and so on.

 Thins do take a little effort to get your head round but that llittle bit of effort will go a long way and help you when things go wrong/are not as expected.

 This is all something that average joe should be aware of as part of daily life

 

A few things about Now that may be of use:

 The Router they provide is known to be not upto much - for most its OK, however thres a signifficant amount of people wo report on here that the wifi is for want of a better word rubbish

 

Rubbish wifi does not mean that the serevice itself is bad you can improve things by setting up your own equipment

 

Now are a doemstic/home ISP this means that th service level agreement with openrach isnt as high a priority as a a business ISP, likewise Now are a budget ISP so the service from openreach to investigate faults/repairs may only be at a basic level offered to all ISPs. Some ISPs pay more for a higher service level agreement and in turn charge more to the end user ( ie you and me)

 If you are using the service for work purposes then you will get no VAT receipts and likewise if there is an issue it will take the standard amount of time to fix.

 

The landline is the physical bit of wire that the service is delivered on and goes to the home, it can deliver voice services and internet services, it can be made of copper, or fibre optic ( now do not offer fibre optic services) if its  a fibre optic cable its called fibre to the premises and only delivers internet services , voice services can still be made available but delivered using the internet Voip (Voice Over Internet Protocol)

 either which way this line has a cost, and is often called line rental and generates confusion with statements like "i dont use the lanline why an i paying for line rental?"

 

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for your reply.

I signed up to have broadband and phone from Now TV to be installed and working in my house.I am paying a fee For Now TV to do what they are contracted to do.

Is my Now TV broadband working...no!

Is my Now phone working.................no!

Why is it not working is yet to be resolved but the best guess seems to be the telephone socket not being openreach mastersocket.....but it's guesswork.

Been living here for 23 years so must have had BT at one point but memory not as sharp as it used to be and as far as I am aware no one's touched the phone socket or altered it in anyway,as I have said it worked fine with Virgin.

chilli2
Expert 2

You may still have an openreach socket in the property, but the emphasis is on may .

Does the property have an overhead line going to it from a pole in the street?

do other property's in the neighborhood have a line going into them from an overhead pole?

 

If so then you may be able to trace where this wire goes into  your house and from there see if theres a socket.

 Of course NTL/Telewest ( as it was then) may have removed the BT equipment and replaced it with their

own - technically they shouldn't have done this but its not unknown.

 

While at it, take a look at nearby phone poles, in particular if there's a little yellow square with the words "Caution overhead fibre"  if so then this means that fibre is in your area, and has either active or has just been added ( and will be active soon)

 This means you may be able to get FTTP which is much faster and more reliable than what Now currently supply - its also more expensive

 

At some point Openreach plan to discontinue copper services and switch off the traditional phone system. up to now/ then internet services have been delivered over voice lines , after that the whole thing is turned on its head and voice services will be provided over internet lines which is a whole new level of forthcoming headache

 

If your area has fibre then it may be in line for copper switch off/stop sell and if you are in one of these areas its Fibre to the premises only (FTTP) - now will not be able to supply.

 

If you know what exchange you are on you can find out the stop sell date, if not then this should tell you

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

 that above link will tell you what exchange you are on/will be connected to and what cabinet you will be connected to, to help open reach have painted numbers on most street cabinets that should correspond with the info in the above link - even though its branded as BT the info is openreach.

 

This is a list of copper stop sell areas and dates

https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/retiring-...

 If your exchange is on the list you will not be able to sign upto Now after the stop sell date - however of you are already on Now ( or any other FTC/ADSL supplier) then you can continue after this  - but you will only be able to move to another FTTP provider after that date if you decide to leave Now

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for your reply.

My house used to have a BT line but not anymore and I can not recall when and how it was removed,as I've said I have lived here 23 years and it was all BT before broadband kicked in.There is a Telegraph pole opposite my house with lines going to other houses.There was an engineer working up  the telegraph pole a couple of weeks ago so it's still in commission.That said a notice has been attached to a nearby lamp post saying that a new pole is to be erected in my street.

Jayach
Elite


@Stig wrote:

That said a notice has been attached to a nearby lamp post saying that a new pole is to be erected in my street.


That almost certainly means you are about to have FTTP available. I would definitely hang fire as Now will not be able to use it. Check here to see if you are about to get it. 

Fibre First: Your future with broadband | Openreach

Jayach
Elite


@Stig wrote:

 

IF !!! I had been told about the necessity of such a mastersocket then I would not have chosen Now broadband because I don't have an openreach mastersocket.

Every other supplier, except Virgin, uses the Openreach copper lines if FTTP is not available.

So whoever you chose the requirements would be the same.

Stig
Scholar

I was contacted by a man from Virgin media a few days after I cancelled my broadband with them.I explained that Now we're half as cheap as Virgin media and was therefore leaving Virgin.He said cheap offers are only made to new customers with Virgin media because the majority of people are afraid of moving to a new provider because of the hassle involved.

I see what he means now.

If you don't know what you are doing then the offer of  free help from an expert/ engineer will certainly be enticing.

That's what Now did.

An engineer will arrive at your property on Thursday 26th from 8am till 1.An adult over 18 must be present.You can help by moving furniture and curtains etc.

I took photos of this message on my phone!!!!!

I got another message the day after saying that an engineer would now come Friday 27 ,1 till 6pm no one came again !!

If an engineer had arrived on Thursday then any installation problems would be there's to solve.Whatever type of cable or socket needed the broadband engineer would have been told to sort the problem or take the router and leave.

If on the other hand i was told it's a self install and if you can not for some reason get connected then we can only help over the phone and no engineer will be sent then I along with many others I suspect would simply look elsewhere...... because like the man said it's the hassle.

 

Jayach
Elite


@Stig wrote:

If an engineer had arrived on Thursday then any installation problems would be there's to solve.Whatever type of cable or socket needed the broadband engineer would have been told to sort the problem or take the router and leave.

 


The engineer will be from Openreach, Now have none of their own, and he certainly won't have the router. If he is by him/her self and a new cable needs to be run from a pole to the house, they may well say they can't work at height alone. (so many H&S rules now)

Do let us know what happens tomorrow.🤞

 

 

Jayach
Elite

Did you try the earlier link to see if FTTP is imminent?

Fibre First: Your future with broadband | Openreach

It's also possible it may be one of the altnets installing the FTTP.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did,put in post code and it says it's available already.

Jayach
Elite


@Stig wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I did,put in post code and it says it's available already.


Hmm, in that case Now was definitely the wrong choice.

Do let us know how it goes. (if you can)

redchiz1
Elite 2

@Jayach Why was it "the wrong choice?" Not everyone wants, needs or can afford FTTP.

Jayach
Elite


@redchiz1 wrote:

@Jayach Why was it "the wrong choice?" Not everyone wants, needs or can afford FTTP.


In this case, as the OP has apparently no Openreach copper line, Openreach are definitely not going to run in new copper when Full Fibre is available.

But more broadly the lower tiers of FTTP are no more expensive than the equivalent FTTC, and "it's the future".

Unfortunately I'm stuck in an FTTC only area.

 

Jayach
Elite


@Jayach wrote:In this case, as the OP has apparently no Openreach copper line, Openreach are definitely not going to run in new copper when Full Fibre is available.

 


Actually I'm possibly wrong about that as they could run in a hybrid cable.

That would be a good compromise.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

 

Fascinating thread .

 

We had Telewest 25 years ago, in a new build. When 9% of people had internet access, and broadband, even over cable, was unheard of, and we were proudly dialling up with 56k modems.

 

When broadband came in, BT couldn’t offer it, where we lived but Telewest could, so we went with them. But in the early 2000’s, BT relaxed their rules, and we went to them. I clearly remember that we had to pay a ‘new installation’ fee, as if we weren’t on the telephone system at all, though my possibly faulty recollection is that BT only had to work under a cover plate at the end of the drive, and didn’t even have to come into the house. I’ve no recollection of there being Master Sockets back then either, though I do recall an ADSL filter being used.

 

Regarding @Stig ‘s comments, I do agree with him that Now’s base assumption should be that we know nothing of the ins and outs of broadband, and they should cover all of that for us. (After all, anybody with a clue, and service availability, is at least going to take a look at FTTP, something Now are silent about, which is going to get less and less tenable in this modern Copper Stop world 😛)

 

I’m then puzzled by this Openreach engineer working in the cabinet, not entering the property, but pronouncing the connection good. I presume they can tell, remotely, if there is anything at the property end, and if it is good? Which would either mean that the ‘Telewest’ socket wasn’t Telewest, or would do the job anyway, or else the engineer made a mistake.

 

We then get to the bit where @redchiz1 says @Stig can’t blame Now for not getting his broadband right. But while I understand why @redchiz1 said that, @Stig actually can blame Now, because it’s Now he has the contract with.

 

Now may be powerless to act, and no blame can attach to Now for using Openreach instead of somebody else, as there isn’t anybody else. Which is why I’m uncomfortable that Openreach has the monopoly it does; but then, I don’t know what else would be better, and I can think of a lot of arrangements that would be worse.

 

At least Openreach is just the Network Rail of the UK internet, and not the train companies as well, as it was in the GPO days.

 

Interesting, too, that @Stig has been ‘advised’ to stop posting here about this. Let’s hope it’s for a good reason, like he’s going to be allowed to trial FTTP for Now, rather than anything Big Brotherish 😛

 

 

 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
redchiz1
Elite 2

@RoyB I tend to agree and I did not say what you attribute to me.  

Jayach
Elite


@redchiz1 wrote:

@RoyB I tend to agree and I did not say what you attribute to me.  


It sounded to me like you did.

 

@redchiz1 wrote:

@Stig If you have never had a BT/Openreach line into your property then you can hardly blame NOW for that. 


 

redchiz1
Elite 2

@Jayach Yes, that's what I said. But @RoyB said what I said was: "We then get to the bit where @redchiz1 says @Stig can’t blame Now for not getting his broadband right." Which is not what I said. 🙂

Jayach
Elite

The biggest problem here is @Stig's lack of knowledge (understandable as a long time Virgin customer) of the  various alternative broadband options.

Just who should be responsible for educating the pubic is a moot point.