cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Booking a fibre installation visit.

I'm trying to order fibre and have to book a visit for installation but I do not move into my new property until the 1st July. The issue is I cannot scroll past June to book that date. It's only giving me up to, and including, a week earlier. Can I order over the phone or will I have to wait another week until the 1st is an option? 

61 REPLIES 61
Jayach
Elite 3

@Stig wrote:

The telephone connection box  inside my house says Telewest, probably 20 years old.

Telewest became NTL, then Virgin, so it's not an Openreach socket. Sounds like you will need a new line installing, and getting those done at the moment is a problem.

Do you not have FTTP suppliers in your area?

Stig
Scholar

Fttp what supplier ? What is that.

Jayach
Elite 3

@Stig wrote:

Fttp what supplier ? What is that.

Just about anyone, other than Now.

FTTP(Fibre to the Premises), FTTC vs FTTP broadband: What's the difference? - Cable.co.uk

It's currently available to about a third of the country, any good broadband comparison site should say if it is available to you.

It's the reason it is so difficult to get new copper lines installed, as Openreach are concentrating on the roll out and have let the copper side run down.

Stig
Scholar

Just done home work 

Fttp

Fttc

ADSL

As Asdl is only 24 MPs I guess this is what Now use as broadband type i.e copper cable to green box.However a little confused because I am sure I read it was Fttp,????? But I can not be sure.

Fttp means no green box !!!! connection is piped straight in ,so it must be ADSL because they have admitted working on the green box?

What's being installed? Is it ADSL or Fttp?

Jayach
Elite 3

It's very unlikely to be ADSL, almost certainly FTTC.

In Now speak ADSL is brilliant broadband, FTTC is either Fab Fibre(up to 40Mbs) or Super Fibre(up to 80Mbs). Now do not offer FTTP, even if it is available.

The speed available to each subscriber depends on the distance from their street cabinet, and you should have been given an estimate when you signed up.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for the reply.

I checked and I ordered super fibre , and the green cabinet is less than 100 yards from my house.

Jayach
Elite 3

You should get the full 80Mbs connection, when you finally get the copper installed.

Do you know how the Openreach/BT telephone connections are supplied in the area you live? Is it underground or via telephone poles? The fact Openreach think they have connected you at the cabinet suggests that you did have a connection in the past.

Stig
Scholar

Thanks for the reply.

I have received a text message from openreach and they are coming out Monday.From everyone's comments I believe it's the old telephone master socket that needs replacing in my house,so fingers crossed should be up and running by next week.As I've said in other posts I have a relative who works for one of the big boys in broadband and I will be certainly speaking to him about my options with what to do next with Now broadband as they have been awful.

Jayach
Elite 3

Do let us know how it goes, it will be useful info for anyone in a similar position in the future, Good luck.

redchiz1
Champion 2

@Stig If you have never had a BT/Openreach line into your property then you can hardly blame NOW for that.