cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Blacklisted ip

How do I get a new IP address from Now?  I have been told my IP address must have been blacklisted so I need to change it but there is no one I can talk to at Now?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

If you unplug the power to your NOW Hub 2 for around 20 to 30 minutes it should automatically acquire a new Router IP address.

Before doing that, use this website tool in the link below to see if the IP address is identified has Sky UK with a location somewhere in the UK.

if it does that, then i be surprised it's a rouge Router IP address, though no harm in power down the Router for 20 to 30 minutes if you can afford the internet downtime.

Also pressing and holding in the reset button on the back of the NOW Router for around 15 seconds may automatically acquire a new IP address (but i have never tried this myself).

https://www.whatismyip.com 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi no nothing like that. My work are saying the reason I can’t log on to my corporate Network might be that my IP address has been blacklisted. Doesn’t sound right to me but I’m just trying everything at the moment

Thank you

Chris
chilli2
Elite

Then this is an issue for your work to deal with .

Some ISPs have been known to give IP addresses that some sites/places have thought were outside the UK (Plusnet being one)

If Now works fone for your home/domestic needs, and it is only work needs that are causing an issue you should tell them that you are signed upto a domestic/home non business internet service provider and if they can not get their systems to work on your home/domestic connection then they will need to send you a suitable mobile broadband / internet device.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Is the message being generated your end or on the works side.

I doubt this is relevant if you are blocked at the works end, but perhaps try the instructions on the link page below under the FAQ :- "I can't access my work VPN from home".

https://help.nowtv.com/article/broadband-buddy-troubleshooting 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have tried to post this twice now. IP Blacklist Check - Email Blacklist Checker (dnschecker.org)

Worked this time!

Jayach
Elite 3

@Anonymous User wrote:
My work are saying the reason I can’t log on to my corporate Network might be that my IP address has been blacklisted. 

If that were the case, it would be them blacklisting it, so they should be able to un-blacklist it. (or just whitelist it)

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

It doesn’t work like that 😢

Likely the people he works for use a service which maintains a dynamic list of IP addresses, or blocks of IP addresses, known to be ‘bad’ in some way.

All it needs is some clown spamming from somewhere in the range, quite possibly a bot where the user on the IP address has done nothing worse than some sloppy opsec that has got themselves infected, and the whole range goes on the blocklist (sic)

Sure his work could whitelist his current IP address, but without a guaranteed fixed one, which Now don’t support the provision of, it could be different tomorrow.

Which will work in his favour if he can get a new IP address by switching his router off for a bit, if it is a particular value blocked; but if it’s a range, it might cover any IP address he moves to, as well.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

It is possible to check if your IP is on the majority of blacklists here: 

IP Blacklist Check - Email Blacklist Checker (dnschecker.org)

But blacklists are normally used for stopping spam. I've never heard of them used to stop logins.

Sometimes the opposite is true and only allowed (whitelisted) IP's are permitted, but as you say that would require a static IP

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

I guess you have never had a load of Chinese or Russians with no business to be there sniffing round your webserver then 😛

But according to that link, I am on dnsbl.spfbl.net, and indeed, I had trouble posting to this Community last Sunday because I was (mis)identified as a spammer, though it didn’t actually stop me logging on.

And the site you linked to there says:-

“There are dozens of DNSBLs available online, and each one has its own set of rules and offensive categories to focus on. The most common nasty type is spam, but some blacklists focus more on hacking, malware, botnets, etc.”

So not just spam…..

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

@RoyB wrote:

@Jayach 

I guess you have never had a load of Chinese or Russians with no business to be there sniffing round your webserver then 😛

But that would be geo-blocking, you probably wouldn't block individual IP's.

@RoyB wrote:

But according to that link, I am on dnsbl.spfbl.net, and indeed, I had trouble posting to this Community last Sunday because I was (mis)identified as a spammer, though it didn’t actually stop me logging on.

This isn't really me, every post I make under my normal login is being blocked. (but without being told it is happening, they just disappear) How did you sort your problem out? I've messaged a Community Manager, but haven't had a reply.

And it definitely isn't an IP address problem because I (obviously) have the same one using both logins.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

To reveal spam blocking, I posted a message, and then quickly took the invitation to look at the posting via the link in the blue bar that says you’ve posted successfully. That told me it was being blocked as spam, and offered me the chance to appeal, which I did.

Then I got a PM to tell me what had happened, and that my pent-up postings had been released upon the not-waiting world.

I’m only assuming it was my IP address that got me blocked; saying unforgivable things about Now can get your individual login blocked….