cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awful quality of landline calls

I've had dreadful call quality of both incoming and outgoing calls. I mostly phone my mum ( my carer ) and during this pandemic, we are both self isolating. Around 60-70% of my landline calls are terrible quality. There is a lot of noise on the line at either end or only one person can hear the other but I have to hang up and ring back 2 or 3 times until I get a good line. This is not exclusive to calling just my mother, it happens when I call in to other people too.

I am a telecoms engineer by trade and know that when a call is made, it leaves a trace ( a routing path ) from the caller to the receiver and this can be archived with dates and times.

Your first task would be to replicate this problem, isolate the questionable piece of the network and resolve it. My mothers phone calls only encounter this problem when I call her from my Now TV phone line. I know it is rebadged BT and I live 1km ( cable route ) to the local Derby main exchange ( I used to work there ).

You have no contact numbers, no technical support options to get this resolved and I really need good communication especially at this time because the government have me in this small group of society at very high risk of infection, so I am totally housebound.

My internet browsing is also sub-par and this past few months has been a bit lagging. ( From laptop ). My laptop is high end and well maintained. I'm also not pushing its performance anywhere near to its capability.

My ps4 seems to be ok.

My line filter is a proper bt socket type ( built into the faceplate ) and my router is fine. Please advise me how to raise a fault and get this looked into.

PS. I heavily suspect the distribution cables in my street are the cause. They were laid in the 60's ( should of been replaced after the standard 20-25 year period - they degrade ) . They are a minimum of 35 years past their lifespan.

0 REPLIES 0