cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Awful down speed over WIFI but only on desktop

Gooooood morning,

wondering if anyone has had any issues with their router. I'm getting speeds of what I could say are fair on mobile however I have been getting awful speeds on desktop. I reset my computer a week or so ago as I was concerned it might be the computer itself however this hasn't really fixed the issue.

The flat I own does not have stone walls, only plasterboard so I can't imagine the wifi being unable to get through the walls. I also seem to get fairly good upload speed strangely. Any thoughts?

Here is the speeds i'm getting on my desktop over wifi on desktop only...

7 REPLIES 7
Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User have you done a speed test with the computer connected via ethernet?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, unfortunately not, there's no way to connect it to my router directly. My partner uses a powerline and gets around 7mb/s

Saint1976
Elite 3

@Anonymous User without connecting the PC directly to the router it would be difficult to determine whether this is a router issue or a setting on your PC.

If you call the broadband team they are more than likely to test the line and if they confirm that it's fault free, ask you to connect the PC to the router.

A Google search of your problem throws out hundreds of potential causes related to both the router and PC so it's going to be a matter of working through different set ups.

I'd be tempted to split the 2.4ghz/5ghz signals

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Changing-wifi-from-5ghz-to-2-4/td-p/549797

and maybe use a wi-fi channel analyser to see if there's traffic on the channel it's using.

Number for broadband help in this link

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ping 16, down 40.81, up 11.9 on pc when plugged directly in 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Howdy I’ve done a bunch of testing.

i split the channels and it’s clear the dongle I was provided doesn’t support 5G, regardless the speeds I’m getting are awful for 2.5G on all devices. The speed wildly fluctuates up and down 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

When you say dongle, are you using a router provided by NOW and currently a broadband customer with them?

If so you can use the botton link provided by @Saint1976  in his post. (Sorry @Saint1976 making an assumption on your gender, apologies if I have offended you. )

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I mean a WiFi dongle/adapter. I do not have a WiFi network adapter for my PC. sadly so I am subjected to using a little USB one to connect to the WiFi