cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ensipi
Advocate

Apple Private Relay

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems recently with performance whist their Apple Private Relay is enabled on their Apple devices? If so, have you managed to work out how to keep it on and have full broadband performance?

many thanks

NCP

15 REPLIES 15
redchiz1
Champion 2

It has been known to interfere with streaming services, including NOW. So turn it off and see what happens. 

Ensipi
Advocate

I think it’s affecting my broadband, supplied by Now, when private relay is on, it results in everything operating slow or not at all, then with the same device elsewhere it works fine.

Boomish
Mentor

I have exactly the same Apple private replay has to be off for everything, is this some kind of filter forcing Apple users to turn it off so their data is no longer protected & can be tracked by NOW TV?

RoyB
Legend

@Boomish wrote:

I have exactly the same Apple private relay [no p] has to be off for everything, is this some kind of filter forcing Apple users to turn it off so their data is no longer protected & can be tracked by NOW TV?

@Boomish 

No.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Boomish
Mentor

Well that’s informative Roy B! What an amazing insight to the problem & thanks for pointing out the autocorrect mis-spelling. So helpful.

We have seen this problem of Apple Private Relay (yep no p) on 2 iPhones & 1 iPad that do not show the problem on any other network, Now TV broadband has some kind of routing problem that interferes with it working properly.  With iCloud Private Relay all the traffic that leaves your device is not only encrypted but it is also sent through two separate internet relays. This means no one, which includes Apple is able to see your iPhone’s IP address, location or browsing activity. This stops data companies and advertisers from creating a detailed profile based on your browsing history.  So why is Now TV broadband stopping this working?  Is there any official support or help in this forum.

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Boomish 

You do get support from staff on the forum, but they seldom post from time to time. To get any form of answer you are best to email support.

customer services @ now tv . com (ensure no spaces)

Or speak to staff via live chat, by clicking 'chat online' within the green box. Don't hit 'get help quicker' as this is a bot.
https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
Boomish
Mentor

Thanks gavs , yep tried the bot already. 

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Ensipi 

You need to make sure to click 'chat online' within the green box. Since you mentioned bot, it sounds like you hit 'get help quicker'. See screenshot.

Screenshot 2023-08-15 at 08.53.39.png

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
RoyB
Legend

@Boomish 

I thought it was a bit of a ‘tinfoil helmet’ question. I’m sure Now track all of the data you exchange with them, directly, or via private relay, but I doubt they take any interest in what else you do.

But if what you say above is true, then it answers your question. If Now can’t see your IP address or your location, then they can’t fulfil their obligations to their content providers to only serve people who are in the UK.

Which means that the mystery here would not be why this interferes with Now, but rather why it doesn’t interfere with every other streaming provider, who have exactly the same obligations.

It might be worth asking Apple if they are ensuring that at least the IP address and location that Private Relay are providing to Now are in the UK.

Though if they are, and always are, then we are indeed back to the mystery of why this is just an issue for Now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.