cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anyone experienced Openreach installation delays with no communication on the issue?

Hi,

I just moved into a property, and the previous residents were using Virgin Media, so the property might not have had an Openreach working connection for quite sometime. Nevertheless, there are 2 openreach sockets inside the property already, so it's not that the line has never been there. The property is not a new build (it's a period house in North London, so not a remote area at all).

I have ordered NOW broadband on April 26th, and was due to go live on Monday 10th May. The Openreach engineer came on the 10th but said someone else needs to do further works on the cables before the line can work, and that it would be done "in the next couple of days".
On Wednesday 12th May I received a message saying there have been further delays and an update would be given to me on the 14th May (today). Today I just got an email saying there have been further delays and another update will follow on the 20th May (6 days from now). Nothing. No further explanation or apology.

I am still completely in the dark as to what is going on, and despite multiple calls to Now support, they can’t seem to get a straight answer from Openreach. I have called NOW team multiple times, but it seems like they have to raise the issue with 2nd line support, who then speaks to Openreach. So there are 3 steps in the communication chain, which nicely serve as a responsibility shield so nobody I talk to can actually take responsibility or tell me what is going on. Has anyone experience something similar before?
If so, did you manage to know what the actual issue was, and how?
I would also want to know whether I am entitled to the compensation of £5.04 per day starting from 10th May until the line goes live, and when this will be paid, however the NOW agent I spoke to couldn’t confirm this. I am working from home and my mobile phone connection, which I’m using as a router, is expensive and slower than a broadband.
I am almost tempted to cancel the NOW contract and go with Virgin which has a line in the property ready to go, but it's really frustrating that the call centre team is completely unable to tell me anything about the issue, other than that there will be a further update on the 12th, then a further update on the 14th, and today a further update on the 20th.

Any help appreciated, thanks
Andrea
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User   @gavs82008 

Hi Andrea

It seems to me, from reading your post, that you're being strung along by OpenReach and kept in the dark by NOW, and possibly being treated like a mushroom.

If I were you I would have an exploratory word with Virgin, just to see what they can do for you and how quickly they can do it. And if the term with Virgin sounds good then give OpenReach a deadline, i.e. if you don't get your service by a certain date then you are moving on.  If that doesn't put a fire under OpenReach then nothing will.

Good luck

UK Bob

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

The problem is that NOW are relying on OpenReach to support and set up the broadband. If OpenReach cannot do that then there is no broadband for NOW customers. 

All I can suggest is to keep pestering the broadband team and hopefully that it gets resolved. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-broadband-complaint1

How to submit your complaint:

• Give us a call on 08007591213 to speak directly to a NOW advisor.
FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User   @gavs82008 

Hi Andrea

It seems to me, from reading your post, that you're being strung along by OpenReach and kept in the dark by NOW, and possibly being treated like a mushroom.

If I were you I would have an exploratory word with Virgin, just to see what they can do for you and how quickly they can do it. And if the term with Virgin sounds good then give OpenReach a deadline, i.e. if you don't get your service by a certain date then you are moving on.  If that doesn't put a fire under OpenReach then nothing will.

Good luck

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks a lot @gavs82008  and @ukbobboy for your answers. I will do as you say, which seems the best option. If Openreach don't give me an engineer appointment date by the next NOW update from 2nd line support which is due on the 20th, I'll consider having a word with Virgin then.

Thanks again,

Andrea