cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android phones problems with apps

I have spoken to chat a number of times about this but still not had a satisfactory resolution.

All the android phines in the house have real problems using the nowhub wifi.  They connect fine and a speed test shows the correct speeds but when i load apps I have real problems with connecting to any of their services.  For example, BBC sounds.  It takes forever for the app to connect to the bbc server and minutes (if at all) before the radio station starts to play.  The same happens with my banking apps and podcast apps.

I can happily connect with my chromebook using the same apps but when it comes to my mobile... no chance.  Oddly if i connect to my VPN through its app, the connection is perfect.

So far NOWtv just keep saying it is something i have done to the router and sending a new one.  Anyone else have this problem and been able to solve it?  It is making my broadband unuseable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Saw exactly the same issue with my Now Hub Two. My Android mobiles (various versions/manufacturers) are connected via WiFi and have problems opening up apps once the router has been up and running for > 5 minutes. Wired LAN clients were fine. As a workaround I disabled IP V6 and all now works fine. [Navigate through the menus:- Advanced, LAN IP and scroll down to LAN TCPIP LAN IPV6 setup. Untick the Enable LAN IP V6 on LAN side & apply settings]. Disabling features may cause other network devices not to work but I've not spotted any issues yet. I've not carried out any problem analysis but it looks like it's a more widespread problem and not specific to Now Broadband.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Based on the useful information that @Anonymous User posted I went into my Android phone settings and found that my phone was setup for IPv4 by default which I guess was reason I seemed to be having no issues connecting or using Android Apps with the NowTV Hub Router 2.

I used these instructions below to check or disable IPv6. 

How to Disable IPv6 on Android
  1. Go to your Android device System Settings and tap on “Network & Internet”. 
  2. Tap on “Mobile network”. 
  3. Tap on “Advanced”. 
  4. Tap on “Access Point Names”. 
  5. Tap on the APN you are currently using. 
  6. Tap on “APN Protocol”. 
  7. Tap on “IPv4”. 
  8. Save the changes. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps .  Thanks for the tip.  My APN protocol is greyed out so won't let me change it.  At least changin it in the router is working.

Thanks for your help on this.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

Just been doing some further reading on the net and unless the phone has been rooted then you won't be able to change the IPV setting on it from what i have read.

My Android phone is stock where under the APN Protocol section it is also greyed out and locked but showing operating over IPV 4, where lucky for me the phone has be running fine over wifi on my Hub 2 router Smiley Happy

Anyway it looks like you have found a solution by changing the settings on the Hub 2 thanks to @Anonymous User 👍👍👍.

Fingers crossed everything will run smoothly from now on, between your Android devices and the NowTV router 🤞🤞🤞.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am having same problem with an android TV box MX10 (Also tried another box same problem) Although the wifi connects ok and tests out for speed NO apps will work. (Cinema.apk, Livenettv.apk, Mobdro or any Kodi apps. Will your solution be ok for this problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Sorry, how do I disable IPV6 please? I do it on my phone, right? 

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Start at the very top of the thread (that’s page 1). On reading down, you will find the Answer.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB 

Hi, thanks for replying. I have read the advice but I don't fully understand how to do it. "Navigate through the menus:- Advanced, LAN IP and scroll down to LAN TCPIP LAN IPV6 setup. Untick the Enable LAN IP V6 on LAN side & apply settings". Do I navigate through the menus on my phone? I own a OnePlus 7 Pro and there is no LAN IP option that I can find on my phone. Would appreciate any advice. Cheers! 

RoyB
Legend

Hi @Anonymous User 

Not on your phone, no. You do it on your router.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh okay! Finally managed to see what you were talking about. Made those changes on 192.168.0.1 but my apps still don't connect to the internet most of the time 😞

Thanks anyway.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually, disabling IPV6 according to your instructions has fixed the issues I was having. Thanks for your help! @RoyB