cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Android phones problems with apps

I have spoken to chat a number of times about this but still not had a satisfactory resolution.

All the android phines in the house have real problems using the nowhub wifi.  They connect fine and a speed test shows the correct speeds but when i load apps I have real problems with connecting to any of their services.  For example, BBC sounds.  It takes forever for the app to connect to the bbc server and minutes (if at all) before the radio station starts to play.  The same happens with my banking apps and podcast apps.

I can happily connect with my chromebook using the same apps but when it comes to my mobile... no chance.  Oddly if i connect to my VPN through its app, the connection is perfect.

So far NOWtv just keep saying it is something i have done to the router and sending a new one.  Anyone else have this problem and been able to solve it?  It is making my broadband unuseable. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Saw exactly the same issue with my Now Hub Two. My Android mobiles (various versions/manufacturers) are connected via WiFi and have problems opening up apps once the router has been up and running for > 5 minutes. Wired LAN clients were fine. As a workaround I disabled IP V6 and all now works fine. [Navigate through the menus:- Advanced, LAN IP and scroll down to LAN TCPIP LAN IPV6 setup. Untick the Enable LAN IP V6 on LAN side & apply settings]. Disabling features may cause other network devices not to work but I've not spotted any issues yet. I've not carried out any problem analysis but it looks like it's a more widespread problem and not specific to Now Broadband.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Got the new router today.  Plugged in a kept settings the same.  Worked for about 10 minutes then back to old problem.  Come on Nowtv I really need a solution to this

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

A couple of forum members have reported the same issue here using Android Apps on their devices.

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/Some-android-apps-won-t-display-images-or-slow-to-play-audio/m-p/483302

I have been with NowTV Broadband since April 2018 using their Hub 2 router and never encountered any Apps issues opening or slow loading with my Android phone.

Where all i have done on my Hub 2 router was to switch off the Broadband Buddy settings off and rename the 2.4 & 5ghz wifi bands on the router.

Obviously there is some sort of compatibly or conflict settings issue between the Apps and the NowTV Hub router but don't know what it could be or what too suggest.

If it was a dodgy pirate websites via the App, then i would say that Sky / NowTV are blocking them, but this is not the case with the Apps you are having problems with. 

Hope you get it sorted.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @schnapps,

Thanks for the reply and finding the old thread (my search skills obviously need work!).  I have had my case escalated so we will see what comes of it.

Nowtv really need to sort this out though as it is a real pain not getting a full service.

Here's hoping and thanks again.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

I wonder if the issue is only effecting certain Android devices on a particular OS version ?

My Sony Xperia phone running Android 7 (Nougat) seems to be working perfectly fine with the NowTV Hub 2 router.

Hope you get it fixed soon.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Having read the other thread it certainly seems to pointing that way.  I am on Android 9 and for others it seemed to happen after an update to 8 or 8.1.

Even if this is the case though, I doubt android are going to put resources into a fix (considering it only affects Nowtv customers).  It is really up to Nowtv to acknowledge it and find a work around.  

Hopefully they will come up trumps as eventually, more and more customers will be updating to newer android versions.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User

Might be worth popping over to the Sky Broadband Forum, where the Sky Q Hub is a clone of the NowTV Hub 2 to see if any Sky Broadband users with Android phones are having the same problems.

Where maybe somebody from the Sky Broadband Team has acknowledged it in a post and have confirmed their are working on a fix or firmware update on their router.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tried sky forum and there are a few problems there too but no solution.  Nowtv have acknowledged and said they would reply within 72 hrs but still waiting after 4 days.  There must be grounds for a rebate as I can't use broadband on half my devices.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Saw exactly the same issue with my Now Hub Two. My Android mobiles (various versions/manufacturers) are connected via WiFi and have problems opening up apps once the router has been up and running for > 5 minutes. Wired LAN clients were fine. As a workaround I disabled IP V6 and all now works fine. [Navigate through the menus:- Advanced, LAN IP and scroll down to LAN TCPIP LAN IPV6 setup. Untick the Enable LAN IP V6 on LAN side & apply settings]. Disabling features may cause other network devices not to work but I've not spotted any issues yet. I've not carried out any problem analysis but it looks like it's a more widespread problem and not specific to Now Broadband.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User .  Good first post!  seems to have solved the problem.  Lets hope Android resolve this before we reach 4bn devices!

Thanks