cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulCFord
Mentor

Alternative 3rd part router to replace NOW TV Hub2

I would like to start using a more powerful 3rd party router (better WiFi coverage) instead of my NOW TV Hub2. Can you please provide me with my login details from a router point of view so I can connect a 3rd party router please?

10 REPLIES 10
redchiz1
Champion 2

There are lots and lots of previous posts on this subject, have a search.

Jayach
Elite 3

Look into any of the VDSL routers from TP-Link or Asus, as they should have the relevant Sky(MER)_VDSL login.

flavione
Scholar

If your issue is only with WiFi signal, rather than replacing the NOW hub, I'd recommend going for a WiFi router or accent point and then turn WiFi off on the hub. You'd have a wider and better choice.

RoyB
Legend

@flavione 

But that would result in double NAT 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Not with an access point, or router in access point mode.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Thanks for that. So what about DHCP?

With Netgear, certainly, choosing Access Point isn’t described as turning off DHCP, and I don’t think there should be two DHCP services running.

I know you can turn it off manually on either device, but nobody has mentioned the need to do this, probably on the AP.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Jayach
Elite 3

Assuming it has access point mode, it should not only turn off the DHCP server, it should remove it from the settings until it is reset to router mode. (with some the only way to return to router mode is to factory reset)

It's only if you are trying to use a router without access point mode (such as an old ex-ISP router) that you need to ensure the DHCP and other router functions are switched off.

RoyB
Legend

@Jayach 

Thanks again - every day is a school day 😛

So turning off the DHCP server in AP mode is so bloody obvious (except perhaps to me!) that Netgear don’t even think to mention it?

Jayach
Elite 3

Sort of. Access Points don't have DHCP servers, so no need to even mention it.