Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RobJ95
Advocate

Activation date query

Spoiler

Hi, 

I was a Now broadband customer at my previous residence and have decided to go back with Now again for my new house. I spoke on the phone with a representative and they told me on activation date that I wouldn’t need to be at the property (I work full time) and after receiving an email from Now in relation to the activation date they’ve now said “An engineer will visit between 1pm and 6pm to install your broadband and phone line. Please make sure someone over 18 is at home.”. I can’t guarantee that I’d be able to get someone to come around to be there for this. When I was with Now in my last house this was all done externally and I just had to set up my router myself. 

Has anybody had to be in for the engineer?

Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
RoyB
Legend

@RobJ95 

Yes, anyone who hasn’t already got a BT Master Socket installed.

Or more insidiously, anyone nominally set up OK, but whose line pair to the cabinet isn’t working as it should be.

In this case, the engineer may need to attend at the premises to find the fault and rectify it. But the need for this won’t be known until the engineer has the cabinet open.

Accordingly, to prevent a further delay, Openreach may request the subscriber be present on the premises just in case, when most times all will be well when the cabinet is opened.

Frustrating if you have taken time off work to be there when you needn’t have, but the alternative is frustration that your broadband isn’t working, if the engineer couldn’t get needed access to your premises 😢

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.