cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stuwy
Mentor

ASUS DSL-N14U B1 setup

Need help in setting up ASUS DSL-N14U B1 instead of using NOWTV hub. Network found and ASUS admin reset done, now unable to connect to 192.168.1.1 to view admin dashboard.

13 REPLIES 13
RoyB
Legend

@stuwy 

Are you sure the ASUS is on 192.168.1.1?

It might be worth scanning your network with a free tool like Fing on your mobile, to see what’s where now.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
stuwy
Mentor

I’ve scanned it’s 192.168.0.1, then I’ve switched out to ASUS, I still can’t access ASUS dashboard. 

stuwy
Mentor

Managed to somehow get into the ASUS router dashboard via 192.168.1.1.

Got into LAN IP, to changed the address to 192.168.0.1.

Error message: no response from remote server

RoyB
Legend

@stuwy 

Searching the manual for your router, I am unable to find any reference to ‘LAN IP’.

Please can you clarify?

I am also unable to find any reference to ‘MER’, which appears in a particular setting that Sky and NowTV need.

So I am not convinced that your router is capable of communicating with Now.

If you ask the Now Broadband team how to set your third-party router up, you are likely to be given short shrift, as this is not something they like you doing, and indeed, it breaks the terms of your contract with them.

But a few people have succeeded in using third-party routers; if you are lucky, one of them may be along to help; or I suggest you search the Community for successful reports on this, to see if any give you clues as to what you need to do.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
stuwy
Mentor

Thanks Roy, 

I have tried this, connecting the router to Now hub, it looks complex and didn’t work. https://www.asus.com/uk/support/FAQ/1030645

I have called NOW, they say they can’t assist.

I don’t see how I’m breaking contract terms, I’ve been using the same router with other providers for years now.

I will ask ASUS directly for help regarding MER.

Yups, have searched and tried various ideas so far no luck.

Will try again later. I had succeeded on Plusnet so it’ll be disappointing if NOW doesn’t allow clients to use their own routers.

RoyB
Legend

@stuwy 

That diagram shows the router connected to a modem, but no cable from the modem to any sort of external connection that might lead to the internet, so it would never work.

If you wanted to use the Now router in that position, though, assuming it was connected to the internet (!), you would need to cease all the router features on the Now router, so it functioned only as a modem. Though how you would do that, I couldn’t say, and that arrangement might anyway not meet your needs.

As regards contract terms, you will have had a separate contract, in turn, with each ISP you have used, and they will have had different terms. When I roasted BT for the then inability of their Home Hubs to stay up for more than a few hours, they were happy to give me the details needed to get my Netgear Nighthawk connected, only requesting that I retain the Home Hub in case it was needed for troubleshooting.

But Now say:-

https://web.static.nowtv.com/images/NOWTV_2017/05_Combo/Contracts/NOW%20Broadband%20Contract%20March...

3.8 You must not use a modem or any other equipment that we have not supplied to you in order to access NOW Broadband.

The above is just so you know…..

The usual reason people want to use their own router is to get decent WiFi. This you can do, without breaking the rules, by turning off DHCP and WiFi on the Now router, and then hooking your ASUS router to a LAN port on the Now router, and running your home network off the the DHCP and WiFi on the ASUS.  And your wired connections also.

But maybe you have some other reason to want to use your own router, directly and in breach of contract, on the link to Now?

stuwy
Mentor

Called NOWTV, the agent told me, NOWTV allows customers to use their own routers, only support won’t be provided. The agent had repeated this 3-4 times over the phone to me.

I found the solution: posted by another NOWTV community member: see copied message below.

Re: Help. I am trying to get the ppp username/password that NOW TV router uses to login to the netwo

Try

Encapsulation: PPPoA
Username: install(at)o2broadband.co.uk [Replace (at) with @ sign]
Password: install
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Multiplexing: VC-BASED

Found at:
http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/sky-broadband-help/61836-trying-use-my-own-modedm-router.html

allanc
Scholar 3

@stuwy 

This is where on the sky community we advise people to enter their full postal address :-

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL/AddressHome

And post the results to see what upgrade is available. The price with sky superfast is just £6 more than adsl2. Granted your current dsl modem is not vdsl2 compliant but the life expectancy of adsl2 is limited and pstn phone lines are withdrawn in 3-4 years you may as well see if you can upgrade. By the way i have asus dsl ac55u you just select isp and pppoa or dhcp option 61/sky mer are filled in automatically. Try the wholesale checker above and post the full table 

***EDIT CORRECTION DON'T THINK NOW TV IS MENTIONED ON THE LIST OF ISP'S SO YOU'LL NEED TO ENTER MANUALLY AS MER I BELIEVE DIFFERS BETWEEN NOW AND SKY***

stuwy
Mentor

As of 17 Sep 2022 my internet has been intermittent. NowTV informed me of the error received on their end showing up as multiple DS errors. I swop out the router for NowTV Hub 2 and internet has been smooth ever since.

Does anyone know why this issue would suddenly occur for ASUS DSL-N14U_B1? Would like to return back to my Asus router.

Thank you.