cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5 minutes with Now TV broadband and unhappy

Good morning

I have just moved my broadband to Now TV and I have lost 20% of my speed overnight.  I am about 200m from a fibre cabinet and am always synchronising at 80 down and 20 up with a net speed of up to 76mb/s and an upload of 19mb/s.

My now TV is synching at 63 with an upload of 20.  Net speed around 58mb/s.

Now TV says they do not traffic shape/throttle but it clear something is far from right.  I know it says it takes up to 10 days to stabilise but when I looked at the router log it clearly showed synchronising at 79999 down and 19999 up yet the router is showing connected at just under 63.

I phoned tech support who said " we only guarantee 46".  

This is unacceptable, should I cut my losses and go back to my old provider or can I expect the DLM to realise my line is capable of much more and hope it readjusts.

I told the tech support that my line is eligible for G-fast so I will not accept the speed given as the max it can support.

I have 30 days to cancel and I don't want to waste my time sitting on the phone for hours. 

Any advice welcome.

Thank you in advance

28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good to know - thanks 🙂 Still hoping for Cityfibre to connect FTTH at some point - but until then FTTC will have to do 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Mmm... I'm probably impatient but it's been 4 days since the connection day and the speeds are still slower than what the previous occupier got with his talktalk connection. Maybe the reason is that I didn't have time to connect the new now broadband modem on connection day and the talk talk modem kept trying to connect without luck instead? Also, on the day after connection day (once I connected the now broadband modem), I turned it off and on again a few times in succession... I guess keeping it the way it is and hoping for the next few weeks to change things is the only way forward?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Turning the router on and off during the settling period of the new broadband link is interpreted as speed that the link can’t cope with, so the Now end backs off each time.

So this is a thing to be avoided as far as possible.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

yeah... haven't turned it off since the day I connected the modem to the master socket... do you know how much time it will take until the speed goes back up? It's been 5 days now and the sync speed is still exactly the same...

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

5 days should be enough, really.

Get on to the Now Broadband team if you are still unhappy, and see what they say.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah will do... Also thinking about making my own rj45 to rj12 DSL lead... I think the one that comes with the now modem can pick up quite a lot of interference... I've got two double sockets next to it etc... Maybe the cable talk talk supplied was better at blocking that stuff out

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi there

It took 2 weeks to settle and I have not had a moments bother over 12
months. Just renewed for another 12

Regards

Neil
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah weird... Just called them and because it's within the minimum guaranteed speed they can't do anything about it. No DLM reset or anything.

Accidentally turned off the power of the modem yesterday and the sync rate went down from 69.8 to 66983... Does anyone know if that sync rate indicates any sort of interference or issue?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Update around 7-8 months later:

My line rate increased gradually over the past few weeks and now stabilised for a few days on 77540... Finally getting the speeds I used to get with talktalk prior to switching to NOW in August 2021 (70mbps down & 19mbps up)... Openreach came over a few times because of cutouts in January 2022... They said the copper outside the house was a bit corroded but that they fixed this... No speed improvements back then and I was stuck on around 67000 for months (real life speeds of about 63mbps down & 19mbps up)... Clearly something was wrong in the cabinet or with the copper lines in the streets... Only noticed that there was an Openreach car in our road a few days ago... Maybe Openreach finally fixed an issue that they always denied existed 😄