cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

5 minutes with Now TV broadband and unhappy

Good morning

I have just moved my broadband to Now TV and I have lost 20% of my speed overnight.  I am about 200m from a fibre cabinet and am always synchronising at 80 down and 20 up with a net speed of up to 76mb/s and an upload of 19mb/s.

My now TV is synching at 63 with an upload of 20.  Net speed around 58mb/s.

Now TV says they do not traffic shape/throttle but it clear something is far from right.  I know it says it takes up to 10 days to stabilise but when I looked at the router log it clearly showed synchronising at 79999 down and 19999 up yet the router is showing connected at just under 63.

I phoned tech support who said " we only guarantee 46".  

This is unacceptable, should I cut my losses and go back to my old provider or can I expect the DLM to realise my line is capable of much more and hope it readjusts.

I told the tech support that my line is eligible for G-fast so I will not accept the speed given as the max it can support.

I have 30 days to cancel and I don't want to waste my time sitting on the phone for hours. 

Any advice welcome.

Thank you in advance

28 REPLIES 28

@Anonymous User 

What results do you get from a speedtest run when directly connected to the router by ethernet cable?

If they are around the estimated speeds you were given at point of sale, that would suggest a local Wi-Fi issue rather than a connection issue.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hello

With WiFi off and connected by cable. Just over 30.

40 or so less than I am used to

Regards

Neil

@Anonymous User  

OK something’s not right then. If it’s been more than a couple of days since your switch (which is all it takes for the line to adjust on an FTTC connection, 10 days is just to fob off customers from raising an issue too quickly) then I’d give them a call and get them on the case.

one last thing to check first though (if you haven’t already) - you could try running a Technical Check [from Manage Account > Account Summary > My Broadband and Calls > Technical Check] and see if it comes up with any useful info

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Many thanks

Will do
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Any updates on this? I've just moved houses and kept the talk talk router of my seller online for a few days until I went back in one day after the line switch and connected the now modem... Speeds seem 5mbit lower than usual... Not sure what the sync speed was before... Should I be worried or will the DLM manage to push it up again?

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Give it a week to settle. Check it daily to see if the speed is stable, or is still homing in on the max it can support.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yeah thanks 🙂 Will do! Does running tests via the NOW broadband portal impact/trigger the DLM?

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The router should be able to find the fastest speed the line can handle on its own through normal use.

But whatever you do, resist the temptation to reboot the router during this time. The router will see this as a line fault, and will start the stabilisation/learning process again.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Great. Will do 🙂 Also a bit silly that the DLM system would perceive power cuts or modem reboots are as a line fault... Will just keep it up and running as long as I can 🙂 Although we'll have an electrician coming in in a few days to connect a few more lights and oven 😂

Mark_Weinreb
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User The occasional power cut/reboot are ok, but the problem lies with those people who think that because they’re not getting the speed they expect do a reboot. And then still not getting the expected speed a few minutes later do another reboot. Rinse, wash and repeat.

As others have said above, leave it alone for about a week to 10 days, although nothing wrong with checking the speed from time to time.

Routers are slow to learn the maximum speed they can get from a line, but quick to drop the speed.