cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hyper1
Scholar

4 port router (Ethernet)

I just signed up to NowBroaband. Awaiting for it to go live. I received the Now router through the post and it only has two ports.  Why did n't they have an option to upgrade to a 4 ports router?. Frustrating.  

PC - one port

Printer - one port

I need extra for my second PC and for a smart TV. 

My current router is a Huawei router (supplied by TalkTalk) (model HG633), but is there any way I can re-use it, as it has 4 ports plus USB?.

I logged into the router, and I can't a page to change user name or password, I have checked through all the menu options.  Will my TalkTalk router, automatically pick up set-up details for Now? Or are username and passwords now obselete?

Are there any alternative routers, I can buy on eBay, which will work with Now? 

I could buy a switch or extender, but I don't want more boxes, power sockets or cabling.....

4 REPLIES 4
RoyB
Legend

@Hyper1 

Heres how to put the HG633 into Bridge mode:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/General-Technology-Tips-Tricks/bridge-mode-working-on-HG633/td-p...

I cant see any way of using it as a switch, but a bridge should just be a superswitch.

In the above, he leaves the HG633 internet-facing, and puts his other device on the output from the HG633; for your requirement, I’d rather see the NowTV router internet-facing, and the HG633 slaved off it, as if it was a switch.

Maybe try it both ways round, see which works, see which you like?

BTW, I don’t get your comment about more boxes, power sockets or cabling, though, if you bought a bridge. Surely it would require precisely the same number of each as using the HG633 instead of a switch?

So all you would save is the cost of a switch, by using the HG633?

But saving a trip to Curry’s and the expenditure of £15 on a 4-port switch, by entering a possible world of hurt trying to get the HG633 to do the job?

Unless I enjoyed the tinkering, and had plenty of time for the several break/fix cycles I was likely to get along the way, Curry’s would get my coin every time Smiley Tongue

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Hyper1
Scholar

I am confused. 

I basically want one router with 4 ports.    I guess my question my is can I substitute the supplied NowTV router, with the Huawei HG633? Or have TalkTalk blocked these routers, so they can't be used with other providers?

Yes, I could go to Currys  to buy a 4 port network switch, but it will run off an AC power adaptor, so I need to find a spare socket.... 

RoyB
Legend

@Hyper1 

Sorry, I misunderstood 😞

You want to use the HG633 instead of the NowTV router, rather than additionally.

Some good stuff here from people who have done this, though not necessarily with your exact router.:-

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Setup-Performance/TP-Link-Router-with-NowTv/td-p/457289

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Go into talk talk router and change the new supplier connection address and password the talk talk will log into now tv and all you wifi connecting devices will still work