cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

3rd replacement router not authenticating

I have just recieved my third replacement router from Nowtv. All three replacement routers have failed to authenticate and connect to the internet (stuck on still orange light). I have hard reset all three, changed filters, gone into the main BT socket - Tried everything on all three and the same problem exists, no connection. However, my existing Nowtv router WILL authenticate and connect without an issue..but this router is suspected as faulty due to constant drop outs. BT have been called out twice and even put me on a new broadband port at the street box. BT recommended that the router exitsting router is the cause to  the problem.

Firstly, please credit my account whilst this issue continues. This has been going on for many weeks now, and has cost me time with engineer visits. Secondly, please suggest a resolution to this issue.

14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Firstly, if it connects and works (until it drops out) I wouldn't be too sure it is faulty. Openreach like to blame the router when thy can't find anything else obvious. (and they don't try too hard on the early visits)

But unable to get 3 different replacement routers to authenticate is very strange. If you don't have a pre-filtered master socket have you tried a new filter? (long shot, but worth trying).

As the routers on Now/Sky do not have personal login details (they should all work on any line) it is difficult to guess what is wrong. Do you have access to a Sky router that has previously worked so you could try that to see if it authenticates.

You aren't speaking to Now here, so will have to call them regarding compensation.

redchiz1
Champion 2

You really need to get on to the broadband team directly, contact details are here in case you didn't already know. Sadly this community can do little more than provide comments from other customers. 

flavione
Scholar

With Sky, the authentication is based on the port, i.e. no login/password is required (although you still need to provide something via Option 61).

If three routers are failing to authenticate, it might be possible Openreach didn't configure the new port correctly. If you connect the supposedly faulty router, can you confirm you can browse the internet with Sky/Now? 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, the old box connects and browsing the internet with the only fault being the constant drop outs.

I've now had 3 engineers appointments and 3 replacement routers.  BT engineerer visit moved me over to a brand new port at the exchange on the last visit and still none of the replacement boxes are authenticating, bear in mind that BT moved me onto a new port because of the authenticating issue. So the problem existed before and after the new port. My BT socket has a built in filter.

flavione
Scholar

If you go to this website

https://www.whoismyisp.org/

what does it say?

When you replace the old router with a new one, do you usually wait 5 mins?

According to what they say from Sky (by reading their forum), there's a 5 min long timeout with authentication, so better to connect the new router after 5 mins since you've disconnected the old one.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

On the old router it says "

The hostname of your internet connection is '5*********.skybroadband.com'. All looks fine.

I will try disconecting for 5 mins.

I have tried the connecting the replament straight from the master socket with a new filter, no joy.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As @flavione says it can take awhile before it recognises the new router. I would say give it at least 10 minutes with the new one on. Possibly leave it on overnight.

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have tried the connecting the replament straight from the master socket with a new filter, no joy.

Is that in the test socket? It won't work from the phone socket if you have a filtered master.

flavione
Scholar

If the internet led is fixed orange, it means your router is synced with the modem inside the street cabinet, and there's no need to test a different socket or filter.

What you should monitor is the router log and see if you have any errors/warnings there, as soon as the sync is up, and see why the authentication is failing or whatever.

After that I'm afraid you would need to call Now and ask to speak to someone like in 2nd level support and explain what happens with the new router, because as it has been explained, this forum (unlike Sky's) is not monitored by support.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I wasn't suggesting that the filter was stopping the replacement routers authenticating, just pointing out that no router will work via a filter behind an already filtered master socket. (if indeed that was what @Anonymous User  tried) 

@Anonymous User wrote:

My BT socket has a built in filter.

@Anonymous User wrote: