cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

30mb download, 0.5mb upload on Fab Fibre

Have recently taken out Now Fab Fibre broadband.

Whilst my download speed is 30mb, the upload speed is less than 1mb (usually around 0.5mb).

When I check the router stats page, it shows this:

Speed

Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

9 REPLIES 9

Possible line fault. Contact NOW Broadband Customer Service to report the problem.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks!

I called the Tech team. They told me that since upload speeds are not guaranteed, they would not do anything.

After 45 mins on the phone and speaking to a manager, they agreed to send an engineer on Friday but framed it as a gesture of goodwill. They also suggested it was unlikely to fix the problem. 

What are your thoughts? I feel that there is a clear problem here which Now should be pro-actively trying to fix. Very surprised by the response on the phone. 

@Anonymous User Assuming you are seeing a download speed approximating to what was estimated for your line, but the upload speed is NOT approximating to what was estimated for your line, AND (if applicable) the upload speed from your previous provider was much better than it is currently from NOW Broadband, then it's likely to be a fault EITHER on the copper wire somewhere between your property and the street cabinet (which would require an Openreach engineer to investigate and fix) OR possibly an internal wiring issue within your property (which is actually your own responsiblity to deal with, rather than being that of Openreach or NOW BB).

If there is a fault (either external or internal to the property), it's likely to be due to something causing interference that affects that specific part of the frequency range that the upload traffic uses on the "signal over the wire" (rather than affecting the whole spectrum that is used to carry the data traffic on your line - hence why you're not seeing much or any impact at all on the download speed).

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for this!

We had an Openreach engineer visit on Friday 31 Aug. He said that we needed a special Broadband engineer, whilst Now TV had only sent a line engineer, so he couldn't do anything.

When we signed up to Now, we were not given an  upload speed estimate. Only a download speed estimate of 28.5-40 mb. The chaps on the Customer Service helpline when I last called told me that upload speed isn't guaranteed, and that because my download speed was within range, they were not obliged to do anything.

The thing is, my upload speed now is lower than it was with ADSL!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I just called Now TV customer service. Yet again, they refuse to do anything. They say that upload speeds are not guaranteed. In addition, she confirmed that the wrong type of engineer was sent out on Friday. We agreed to wait till the engineer report was uploaded and then speak again.

I'm honestly shocked. It goes against the whole reason why we have guaranteed speeds - to make broadband providers do something when it's not working. Arguing that upload speeds don't count is just playing the rules without regard for the motivation behind them.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi

Sorry to bump this thread - is it likely to be reviewed by anyone from Now TV customer service?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi

Sorry to bump this thread - is it likely to be reviewed by anyone from Now TV customer service?

0.5 Upload really is not on to be fair. What was your uplod speed before you go our Fiber in @Anonymous User?

I have scorued through numerous PDF's and it seems that, although many people on the Ofcom committe state that in this day and ages upload speeds should be made aware at point of sale, as well as giving a minimum upload speed, there is no law (as of yet anyway) for this 😕 However, if you can remember what your upload speed was before you joined we can determine if it is in fact a fault. I can't imagine online gaming, uploading videos, pictures on a .05 line. This is when you are hardwired yeah @Anonymous User

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Tony,

It was on ADSL and was greater than 1.5mb (not sure of the exact number). On all speed checkers I can find, my predicted speed on VDSL should be about 6-8Mb.

I've also posted about this on Thinkbroadband forums: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4599184-30mb-download-05mb-upload-on-fibre.html.

They tell me that the customer service incorrectly requested a CDTA visit - which was useless, and also the cheapest option. They told me that, in actual fact, Now TV needs to send me an engineer for an SFVA job. I don't know what those terms actually mean, but any chance you could help?

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Hi Tony,

It was on ADSL and was greater than 1.5mb (not sure of the exact number). On all speed checkers I can find, my predicted speed on VDSL should be about 6-8Mb.

I've also posted about this on Thinkbroadband forums: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4599184-30mb-download-05mb-upload-on-fibre.html.

They tell me that the customer service incorrectly requested a CDTA visit - which was useless, and also the cheapest option. They told me that, in actual fact, Now TV needs to send me an engineer for an SFVA job. I don't know what those terms actually mean, but any chance you could help?

Hi @Anonymous User I was off the last few days but i have seen that you got the correct engineer sorted. Hopefully this sorts the abysmal upload speed out. If not, please get in touch via here 🙂