cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blindj
Scholar

3 weeks in and leaving already

Hi got now broadband or should I say sky broadband as they are the same and 3 weeks in am leaving .

I have 25.00 credit on my account that they tell me they can not use for broadband payment and the big bit is were they give you the date to pay your home phone and broadband bill and only one option is available 

I can not phone up and pay it ie when I want to pay it early like most other company's I don't have any option but to wait wait for there date and it will auto come out my card 

And the performance is dreadful I use a vpn at the moment and can see a very big difference in speed when using a vpn from 9-40 mgs to over 100 but vpn a good on comes at a cost

So am leaving to back to my old broadband and phone company ..

And I will have to use the 25.00 when the sports come back on etc 

9 REPLIES 9
Jayach
Elite 3

Very odd post. You do realise you can't just leave when you like. Once you are out of the "cooling off" period (unless you are on the no contract option) you will be liable for an ETC (Early Termination Charge) https://help.nowtv.com/article/early-termination-charges

The payment method is not that unusual and is one of the things that keep Now's prices low.

As for performance, the Max speed on any FTTC product is 80Mbs, but is dictated by the distance from the cabinet. There is no way you could be getting 100Mbs over VPN.

Still good luck with whatever you do.

chilli2
Elite

As you are aware, Now broadband is the budget sub company of Sky , and in turn the TV part is a different part to the telecom/broadband part so you can not use a Now TV voucher credit for the broadband part

But if you research before you sign up you will have known this.

As for performance, if you were on an openreach ISP before then the perfomance shoud be roughly the same , if the performance issues are linked to bad wifi then this too is a known issue with Now routers , and with solutions to the problem listed on this forum and elsewhere - the router is fine for most, but has a few limitations that rear their heads with others.

As for leaving, as mentioned uness you are on a 1 month rolling contract, that is you have signed up for a 12 month deal you will be hit with a substantial early termination fee that will be in the region of  £250 , but then again I'm sure that you are aware of this as early termination fees are well know about and common practice among all ISPs.

If you have signed up to another ISP ( ie your old one)unless you cancel the move then you could also be hit with an ETF there as well shold you stay with now - either which way you may be severely out of pocket for much much more than a £25 sports/now tv voucher

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 wrote:

If you have signed up to another ISP ( ie your old one)unless you cancel the move then you could also be hit with an ETF there as well shold you stay with now 

That shouldn't happen, as they all have at least a 14 day "cooling off" period.

But the costs incurred by ISPs from people who do that has to be borne by the rest of us.😒

Anonymous User
Not applicable

"But the costs incurred by ISPs from people who do that has to be borne by the rest of us."

...like a peasant who learnt to keep his head down.

chilli2
Elite

Should in theory be within the cooling off period - hence the use of the word could as opposed to will.

Either which way the original poster, Blindj has dug himself/herself into a little hole .

Three weeks in and the cool off period for Now is up, and unless they are on a 1 month minimum term rolling contract a hefty cancellation fee may apply.

The £25 credit is most likely to be on the TV side of things and not the broadband - they are not usually transferable.

The best course of action here is to stick with now ( as to leave will be costly) and work out the issues re performance.

Jayach
Elite 3

@chilli2 

Totally agree, I just wanted to make them realise, that if they have started the move back, they are unlikely to be charged for cancelling the move now.

On an earlier post @Blindj said they were on Shell broadband, so it's not likely the connection quality would be any different to Now. (unless there is a fault) 

But as you alluded earlier, it doesn't sound like they did any research before jumping ship.

chilli2
Elite

There are a few things that may help with the poor performance, such as seperating the wifi bands, using your own kit- be that a powerline adaptor with wfif, wifi access point, or own router.

As for the VPN issues - is the broadband buddy ( fancy name for an ISP level content filter) active

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Once you are in, you cannot leave it. It's some sort of mafia ..British mafia 😂

The Internet in the UK is one of the biggest scam I found here. The customer is considered, by law, a second-class citizen. There are a lot of things the British market needs to learn. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Try contacting:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/changed-your-mind/cancelling-a-service-youve-arranged/

This is the law they are referring:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/made

Then you can build your case at:

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications

REMEMBER:

1) don't rush your case. Write it, read it, write it, read it, try to fighting it, and then repeat the process until you get the best case you can make; you have one chance.

2) they are NOT your friends.

Good luck.